The beer thread

Sparda

This thread was started for no paticulare reason (damn stright) and is about what people think of beer.

I personly do not like the taste of beer, nor do I drink it offten. Some of you may call me a heritice (thats what that priste said any way), but I just don;t like beer. I can drink it with out wanting to cut my toung out simpley so I can't tast it any more, but it just don't make me want to taste it.

On that note, when ever I have drunk enough to be drunk, i'v never felt drunk. I get the extream sessation of been off balence and find alot more things funny then I would other wise (It's the ginyeist gin), but besides that, nothing.

Any thoughts?

I guess it's an aquired taste, kinda like coffee.

I'm long past my boozing days of drinking just to get wrecked.

So when I do drink beer, I drink it for the taste, and the buzz of course. :)

But I also can't or won't drink crap beer (Bud, shaeffer, meisterbreu, ...)

I got turned on to Duval beer from a Diggnation episode, but man is it expensive. Otherwise it's the microbrews, just for the taste.

Mmmm it's 9am and I wish i had some now, Is that wrong? :)

Well my first question would be, how many differrent kinds of beer (and what ones) have you drank? I know from first hand experience (I used to work at a wine cellar/liqour store) that many of the beers I sold I didn't personally like at all, but only did a select few make the cut. If you've only tried a few beers then you really haven't even touched the surface in the spectrum.

This example may be a bit offending at first but holds true: One of my greatest challanges of working at a the wine cellar was pursuading a female customer to try a particular beer because they've never had a beer that they liked. No, I wouldn't hand them a smirnof twist or zema, those are shit-sugar drinks. I'd show them a few of our products that have fruit flavoring or something that matched the time of year/meal they were planning. 9 times out of 10, they liked it, and I turned a woman who previously didn't drink real beer into someone who does.

Point being: You need to find the kind of beer/ flavoring/ recipie/ whatever, that fits yous. If you're willing to give it another go, I suggest goign to a beer store and asking the clerk what he'd suggest based on what you like.

I can defiantly attest to it being an acquired taste. A few years ago I absolutely despised beer, but drinking it casually from time to time you start to enjoy it more and more.

If you're new to beer drinking, I would suggest having some munchies around to take the bite off of some of the beer out there like pretzels or chips, or have one with dinner. Defiantly try some of the better kinds out there; the spectrum of beer goes from battery acid to nectar of the gods, just have to find one you enjoy.

As well as not paticlualy liking beer (in general) I also don't like wine much at all. It dosn't taste nice to me at all. However, vodka, gin and other things like, I have no problem with.

yeah the same as me really i cant wine/beer/lager but i do enjoy vodka

And remember, the next beer always tastes better.

The things you learn at a university...

Can you express that as an algabraic forula? :P

beer = beer + (beer / 2) perhaps? :P

No but with differential calculus.

BeerGoodness'(t) = BeerGoodness(t) + ActualGoodness * t * LitresPerHour

Simplified of course since ActualGoodness is multidimensional.

I also don't really like the taste of beer. I've had quite a few brews, from water to the stuff that'll make you sweat yellow crap...

I also am one to not really like wine either. It's only a select few that I like. Something sweet is the best for me.

I love mixed drinks though, the hard stuff.

I too don't actually get drunk, just a little happier than usual and actually very tired. Probably a good before sleep drink for me.

Hmm... interesting...

I remember having a conversation some time back how younger people who drink beer say it tastes like crap and drink it presumably just to get drunk... In the UK at least it's not a 'kids' drink so why would it be made for kids to enjoy? Works differently in other countries I know, but meh...

As for me I like a lot of beers... my favourites are all English ales... Spitfire and Greene King's India Pale Ale are nice... pleasant, very relaxing and perfect for casual, relaxed social situations wherein a few people are chatting about the issues of the day or whatever *dons cap and slippers* ;)

As for the rest of it, I'm not a fan of wines in general but there are some nice ones out there... it depends on the situation but I tend to prefer a sweet white given the choice...

Ciders are nasty... I've been there, done that... I've drunk enough cider to rot my intestines a few times over, I'm sure... there are some palletable dry ciders out there but white cider's no longer an option for me, it tastes vile these days...

Spirits are ok, I'll generally drink most spirits although I've lost the ability to drink them neat these days... I used to like gin quite a bit but I went off it, some whiskeys are cool, especially Southern Comfort, vodka's not my thing, rum's ok sometimes, sambuca(sp?) isn't too bad, can still drink that neat... my favourite spirit is Absynthe though, lovely stuff...

Finally, mixing drinks is very cool (IMO, YMMV)... can be fatal but if you know where you can take the night's drinking and you stay within your comfortable 'zone' it's all good... some very tasty concoctions can come from randomly mixing :)

I remember having a conversation some time back how younger people who drink beer say it tastes like crap and drink it presumably just to get drunk... In the UK at least it's not a 'kids' drink so why would it be made for kids to enjoy? Works differently in other countries I know, but meh...

No, it's absolutely the same here. Even I do not always enjoy the taste of beer, and I only drink it if I really want it. If I just want to get drunk, I drink something else (or beer if im in the right mood for it).

Heheh... just to clarify I was thinking of certain European countries where drinking is a part of life at a fairly young age... that attitude has it's plus point I think but hey, there's a conversation for another day :)

Oh, and for something fun to knock you on your ass:

Dr Pepper, Your Favourite Energy Drink, Southern Comfort and Vodka - equal measures of each, scale as necessary ;)

I enjoy beer more than I enjoy hard alcohol. I agree with the duval. That is like the champagne of beers. Otherwise I enjoy guiness or my favorite, leinenkugels. Leines is from a small town in wisconsin called chippewa falls and they do all kinds of cool stuff to their beer. They have of course origional and honeyweiss. They also from time to time experiment. They had an apple flavored one, and they have a berry flavored one. They have an all wheat one.

Like what cincipher said, it's good to have food around, especially anything with salt - takes the bitter taste away. If you ever feel daring, put salt directly in your beer (if you're drinking something especially bitter) and it will actually taste quite good. That is unless you pour to much in, yuck.

Well, seeing I live in the US, it will be quite a few years until I can go get any kind of alcohol on my own, however my parents agree with me and think 21 is rather absurd, so I do have a beer, or a glass of wine with my parents every now and then. My dad is a fan of Guiness and Harp, and Hebrew beer, so I've had those before, guiness is too dense for me, i prefer harp among those 3.

My time spent in Germany this summer had quite a bit of beer consumption, of course. Nabecker Hell is probably my favorite of all, 1614 was good too. Bruckmuller was a local one that I had several times, mostly on tap in restraunts and bars and the like.

So thats basically my beer history. I've never even held a bud or miller or hieniken in my hand, much less tasted it.

Bud and Heineken are about as boring a beer as you can find.

When I was about 15 I started collecting beerlabels as a hobby (my parents felt I needed something to do outside the TV or computer. Obviously, I began programming stuff that would let me keep track of the collection) which of course meant you had to drink the stuff too. Yeah, dirty job, but someone had to do it. :P

Being from .nl my collection focussed on beers from The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg, though I don't recall every finding a beer from the latter. Thankfully, .nl and .be made up for that and then some :)

By the time I got bored with it and quit I was at over 400 different beers.

Personal preferences are:

- Hertog Jan Grand Prestige

- La Chouffe

- Paas IJ

- Ara Bier

- Hoegaarden Speciale

- Witte Raaf (R.I.P.)

- Delirium Tremens

- Moeder Overste

- Grote Lul (careful when asking about it. It's dutch for 'Big Dick')

- Christoffel Bier

What is 'Hebrew beer'?

My dad is a fan of Guiness and Harp, and Hebrew beer, so I've had those before, guiness is too dense for me, i prefer harp among those 3.

I do like a Guiness every now and again...it has a very distinct colour, texture and taste so it makes a great break from some of the watery lagers about... Murphys is another good beer, quite similar to Guiness but different enough to make it a different choice from Guiness. Both are much much better chilled, a warm Guiness isn't particularly nice but if it's warming but not quite room temperature it's still drinkable...