How do you listen to lectures?

Sparda

How do you listen to lectures in University (or Black hat, or HOPE or where ever)?

I personaly will (becasue I have never been in a proper lecture yet) just sit there listening, fully focusing one the person at the frount rather then backwards and farwards between writing things down and the guy stood at the frount of the room.

As I am a special person I have been given permisson to record the lecturs, so I will of course be making full use of that, and I have no dought both my laptops (when I get it) and my desktops hard drives will be crammed with high bit rate recordings by the end of the first year.

This just came to mind as a result of trying to watch the second video metatron posted in the hacking where to begin thread. The first video I had no problem with, I sat listening to it and understood every thing he was talking about. Paticulaly the HTTP request spliting 'hack' and the using JavaScript to collect cookies bits (I will remember UFBP for a long time). Any way, back to the point, I found it hard to understand what the other guy was saying becasue of his acent, I had to (effectivly) translate the noise coming out of his mounth in to english in my head, this isn;t good because it means I'm not concentrating about whats been said, insted i'm constentrating on the words coming out of the guys mouth. Dose any body else have the same problem?

I have no issue doing two or three things at once so, I listen to whatever they have to say while I’m on the net, working on something, playing with other peoples phones/PDA’s/Laptops or testing any network infrastructure they may have in place.

When I first started at the university I sat in the lectures and tried to write everything down like everybody else. But soon I realized that I was missing alot of what was being said, I heard it but it basically went in through one ear and out the other. I found that sitting there and focusing on what was actually being said and just taking some short notes on what I find interesting and what I need to take a closer look at was much more effective.

And on the accent thing, the worst I've had was a course in artificial intelligence taught in english by an egyptian who had english as his third or fourth language. What he was saying was barely recognizeable as a language at all.

I never make notes, as I'm a person who learns better by being spoken to than reading notes over and over. How much attention I pay or if I bother attending at all depends on how much the topic interests me. You'll encounter problems with accents/bad english in lectures all the time, although most of the lecturers understand english isn't their strong point and are happy to repeat things for you.

From what I'v been told (I asked about this), it is perfectly legal for you to record (providing the recording device is in full view) university lectors unless it has been made clear, vebly or other wise, that it is not allowed. It seems, however, possible to get writen permisson to record lectures, apparently I have it.

I try to get to as many Uni lectures as I can, but with my job consuming my life, that seems to be getting fewer. However, the vast majority of lectures are recorded (be it audio with sync'd slides or video) either at my campus or one of the other UTas camps' around the state, so accessing the material is very easy ( even if it is via the most clunky piece of software on earth).

As for notes, I only make notes on things which I want to find out more about.

I always read the material the lecture is about first, and take notes on it, in outline form, leaving some spaces between each section, then when the speaker is talking i don't have to worry about writing down the stuff that i already have, or that i remember is in the book, and i can focus on stuff that he or she is talking about that i haven't learned yet.

of course, between the initial reading and the lecture and revisions before the test and such, i usually type the notes up before exams, because a) i learn things from having to write them down, and b)it makes it much easier to study, without having to worry about crosses out, messy erases, shorthand, etc.

for a while i would bring my laptop to class and type the notes, but for some reason i just like writing it up on real paper, with a real pen and such.

i know, how late 20th century, but thats just me.

( even if it is via themost clunky piece of software on earth).

A ActiveX controler that has a embedded Java bitorrent client?

Haha, no, to be fair it isn't that bad. I'm just over it because we are developing something at work that has to interact with this particular piece of software and I can't seem to get away from it no matter where I go!

I always have to take notes, cos i think i know what's going on in the lectures, the later when i'm doing problems i realise i totally forgot everything.

Personally i think that i don't really have a problem taking notes and listening, after so many years at high school and uni i'm glad i finally got the hang of it.

I never had recordings of the lectures though. I would imagine that those would be REALLY useful

About the accent...don't get me started.

Aerospace design and engineering maths are really hard, when the guy speaks english. They become 1million times harder when the guy learnt english after 6 weeks at a language course (i'm assuming)