More Net View Goodness

Thamdhz

So the net view (or net and all its variants) command is nothing new to windows users. I've used it many times in the past and just recently used it at my college to see whats up. Now not all the computers on the college's domain were listed but among the 100+ I can view there are over 30 servers in the schools data-center listed and conveniently named I mite add. Such-as domain-controller 1, 2 ,3,4 etc.. as-well as many other test and production servers.. Does anyone know why I am able to see only a few computers on a network of 800+?

Edited by Thamdhz

Does anyone know why I am able to see only a few computers on a network of 800+?

Most likely, permissions, but also possible alternate subnets you don't have paths to reach based on your subnet mask and IP range, vlans even. If they did their job, you shouldn't be able to see much of anything except maybe the domain controller you authenticated through. If its a college workstation in a lab or such, they might not have locked things down but if say you are on with your personal laptop and can see the entire domain, thats not exactly a good thing. Careful what you trample on while walking through the forest.

Edited by digip

Most likely, permissions, but also possible alternate subnets you don't have paths to reach based on your subnet mask and IP range, vlans even. If they did their job, you shouldn't be able to see much of anything except maybe the domain controller you authenticated through. If its a college workstation in a lab or such, they might not have locked things down but if say you are on with your personal laptop and can see the entire domain, thats not exactly a good thing. Careful what you trample on while walking through the forest.

Hey thanks for the reply. I am actually using a lab computer to play with net view.. so I am authenticated to the domain (haven't tried with my laptop..yet) .. hey do you know if its possible to find out how many vlans there are? Also isn't it kinda of weird that one lab on the third floor and half the data-center on the first floor AND a couple computers in a different building are on the same vlan ? or is that just sloppy networking?

Edited by Thamdhz

Hey thanks for the reply. I am actually using a lab computer to play with net view.. so I am authenticated to the domain (haven't tried with my laptop..yet) .. hey do you know if its possible to find out how many vlans there are? Also isn't it kinda of weird that one lab on the third floor and half the data-center on the first floor AND a couple computers in a different building are on the same vlan ? or is that just sloppy networking?

If they set up the vlans that way, then its more or less purposeful and sure they had reason to. You usually use vlans to segment out departments, to keep them secure and to cut down congestion between machines that don't need to see the broadcast or receive data from those other segments.