Slackware-VectorLinux

debianuser

The enormously popular Slackware is the true 'Unix' of Linux distributions and is used by major corporations, universities and home users alike. Its popularity stems from the fact that it is a robust, versatile and almost unbreakable system

taken from http://vectorlinux.com/

Well "unbreakable system", I am not sure about it - how is Slackware compared to Debian?

WYT (what ya think)

:arrow:

Slackware from my experience, is a very stable distro. I've been running Slackware in various forms for years, which I have really enjoyed. That said, "almost unbreakable" may be going a bit far.

Comparison with Debian? Well. Slackware is very UNIX like in almost every aspect so it may suffer slightly on the user friendly front, but it is just as flexible as Debian. I wouldn't recommend it for a *nix newbie, but if you know your way around the command line, it's a very nice distro.

Why not install it and give us your comparison?

I like Slackware and have been using it for years but I really can’t say anything about Vector Linux as I have never used it and just because something is based on a good distro doesn’t mean that it is good.

you mean like ubuntu and debian :wink:

ever installed slackware on a laptop?

I never got the Slackware package manager, so eventually I had to just reinstall to get things back to safe/sane working condition.

I started out on slackware, but the above was what drove me to Debian.

I like Slackware and have been using it for years but I really can’t say anything about Vector Linux as I have never used it and just because something is based on a good distro doesn’t mean that it is good.

you mean like ubuntu and debian :wink:

ever installed slackware on a laptop?

There are at least 30 distro’s based on Debian and most are appallingly bad, the same can be said for most major distribution, sure some are good but most aren’t.

I run Slackware on six old Pentium II 400 MHz Compaq Armada 7400 Laptops with 256MB of Ram and 6GB HardDrive (I have 18 of them I found in a dumpster).

The install took a bit of time, but it was not that much hassle to do and the cheap wireless cards I got from Hong Kong for $4 was up and running with no issues what so ever.

ok so.. .we got pretty much debian and slackware running on the same level... where will u place Gentoo?

Gentoo is a great distro and one of my favourite, but in my opinion is not overly suitable for old hardware and the install can be very time consuming but if you have a modern computer it’s one of the best distro’s you can use.

ok so.. .we got pretty much debian and slackware running on the same level... where will u place Gentoo?

Gentoo is a great distro and one of my favourite, but in my opinion is not overly suitable for old hardware and the install can be very time consuming but if you have a modern computer it’s one of the best distro’s you can use.

looks like the kernel used by Slackware is newer than the one Debian is using right now. Is the release of Slackware´s version much often than Debian?