Backtrack

morikami

hello i would like to know if there is any good tutorials or free courses on backtrack. as i want to learn how to use it, yer i know its not the best to start on, but i love the lay ect. so i want to start with backtrack and not ubuntu ect. so any help would be grate guys.

Keep in mind, Backtrack = Ubuntu.

Backtrack is just a bunch a tools pre-loaded on an Ubuntu base. So the question really is are you looking to get more familiar with Linux or the tools provided?

Also you can use the 'man' command to learn just about anything from the tools. Also command --help

Edited by Mr-Protocol

I have recently purchased BackTrack 4: Assuring Security by Penetration Testing by Shakeel Ali and Tedi Hariyanto looks like a good read and good way to learn BackTrack.

Also have BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide by Vivek Ramachandran of Security Tube. And that looks just as good and simple to follow.

The 2nd book isn't really for learning BackTrack but it's helping me out with a few things in BackTrack so it's a bonus. And I like Security Tube so good way to support Vivek.

Backtrack isn't good to learn because everything already installed and preconfig'd. You need to install and configure yourself so you can get familiar with the scripts and other functions of the programs.

I've only ever bothered to learn linux because of backtrack, so its been my introduction to using linux and various other distros(since the 2.5 slax days of BT to the more ubuntu/debian based one today). I would have never taken the time to learn linux had I not had an interest to learn the tools it came with, so if it gets someone interested in linux at all, I think thats a plus. There are plenty of things one can learn from bt, even if they didn't install the apps themselves. Got to start somewhere.