Dns Servers

bobbyb1980

Would anyone be able to point me towards some actual DNS Servers (not sql injection on existing servers or arp spoofing replies to clients) that are database driven (so entries are readily editable) and compatible with Backtrack or Ubuntu?

I tried using DNS_NG but for some reason the program and the SQL server were not able to get on the same page. Thanks.

Edited by bobbyb1980

I tried using DNS_NG but for some reason the program and the SQL server were not able to get on the same page. Thanks.

What errors or problems are you experiencing?

I closed the terminals with the errors from DNS_NG but several of the dependencies didn't install correctly. I'll look more into later.

I've been playing around with bind9 in Ubuntu 10.04. I've started the server and TRIED to create my own DNS zone of 192.168.1 in hopes of resolving www.linuxconfig.org to my local ip (192.168.1.101). It seems I can successfully create the zone (I can pass the named-checkconf and the named-checkzone tests), but when I use dig to ask myself (dig @192.168.1.101 www.linuxconfig.org) it's still fetching the real IP from somewhere else. I am also assigning my DNS servers manually using network-manager, then I verify the entry from cat /etc/resolv.conf, and sure enough it's my ip. So it seems Ubuntu recognizes my DNS server, but for some reason all the DNS queries are still coming from outside the LAN (not me) and my server is listening but all the info goes in one ear and out of the other.

The tutorial I am using is here. http://linuxconfig.org/linux-dns-server-bind-configuration

I understand that when I create a DNS zone, that's the machines that the DNS server is providing responses to, kind of like my "target" computers?

First off, the reason why your local domain www.linuxconfig.org isn't resolving to your local IP address, is because the linuxconf.org domain already exist on the internet.

What you could do is place a "-" in between the Linux-config.org or name it to something else, but before naming it to something else use the command PING to determine if the domain name is already in use. If you get a reply back then it already exists, try a different domain name until you find one that doesn't exist.

Now regarding your last comment,

"So it seems Ubuntu recognizes my DNS server, but for some reason all the DNS queries are still coming from outside the LAN (not me) and my server is listening but all the info goes in one ear and out of the other. "

In the named.conf file what DNS servers did you specify?