[Question] Anyone Find A Good Case?

vrocco

A tool this sweet does not belong in a duck's butt........hahaha, j/k.

Seriously though, if I am going to talk someone into plugging this in to their system, I would like to have it look more like a normal flash drive. I have had a couple flash drives in the past that the case broke off of and I found that people are naturally suspicious of it when they can see the circuit board. Anyone find a case that fits well for the ducky?

A tool this sweet does not belong in a duck's butt........hahaha, j/k.

Seriously though, if I am going to talk someone into plugging this in to their system, I would like to have it look more like a normal flash drive. I have had a couple flash drives in the past that the case broke off of and I found that people are naturally suspicious of it when they can see the circuit board. Anyone find a case that fits well for the ducky?

This dosnt really help you but i figured i wohld post it anyways. Im having a custom case milled out of delrin to fit it. My duck just shipped today but as soon as i get it its go time. I have a few ideas on making the case water tight. I also may do one in a metal (titanium or CuTu) with a rubber lined interior. I dont know what im more excited about, the hardware or making cool stuff for it!

This dosnt really help you but i figured i wohld post it anyways. Im having a custom case milled out of delrin to fit it. My duck just shipped today but as soon as i get it its go time. I have a few ideas on making the case water tight. I also may do one in a metal (titanium or CuTu) with a rubber lined interior. I dont know what im more excited about, the hardware or making cool stuff for it!

Will you still have access to the micro SD card slot?

You taking orders?

No, for 2 reasons.

1, I dont think Darren and the team would like it if I came in here and started selling stuff and making money off everyones hard work.

2, The cost is too high.

Darren did an awesome thing by making these in America out of quality parts and just like typical Americans, people bitched about the price being too high. Same applies for the cases. They are made in America from materials produced in America. The few I make for myself will not be cheap. People will ultimately bitch about the price and not buy them anyways.

Im not trying to sound like a stuck up asshole. Im just pointing out what I see. Sorry if this sounds like that, which im sure it does.

Perhaps someone can convert the drawings to a 3D Printer friendly format. There are a number of services which will print parts for you at a cost.

Not a problem. I can post all the files when it is done. I have been looking at buying a rapid prototyper for the past few months actually.

No problem. I don't think Darren and company would have a problem with it since it's not in competition with something they are selling, it only compliments it. I do understand what you are saying about it not being cheap. I'm not really looking for a titanium one or anything like you mentioned. Just something plastic it would fit in. I guess I'll either wait for your CAD drawings and get someone to "print" me a couple, or see if there's a case on digikey or somewhere that is close in size and I can make work. Thanks for the help.

I have a USB drive similar to the one pictured here. If you take the swivel cover off the plastic case splits apart and the Ducky fits perfectly! You may need to add some filler to the back since the Ducky is shorter than the case. Even without some filler taking up the empty space this case seemed to work great. No slippage or anything.

This would also help those trying to mask the Duck as a USB drive in pen testing. post-36469-0-28979900-1317915769_thumb.j

im thinking about taking apart and old U3 drive and fitting it in that, and solder some leads from the micro sd reader into a micro sd to usb port on the other end, so one end will run the payload and the other end will have a usb port for programming and compiling, this'll just make it easier to carry around and not need to take it apart to access the micro sd card

As MS1605 pointed out we're proud to have these made in the USA but as such it adds significantly to the cost. In all honesty though I suspect the rubber ducks were actually made overseas. Not sure. Got 'em from a US distributor but can't be 100% sure. Anyone know an American rubber ducky manufacturer?

Now, as for the cases I encourage everyone to experiment with cases and if MS1605 wants to sell some of his creations here he's more than welcome to. We have a few designs in the works that we'll be making with our new laser cutter. If you were at Derbycon you may have seen the wooden prototype case I was sporting. Still need to find a source for the leather strap. Going for a oldschool Western feel there.

I hope soon we'll have several enclosure options available. I think there are compatible generic USB enclosures from digikey and the like similar to the ubertooth. And we just made an order here recently for empty USB drive enclosures so we'll have 'em on the hakshop as soon as they come in. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

As MS1605 pointed out we're proud to have these made in the USA but as such it adds significantly to the cost. In all honesty though I suspect the rubber ducks were actually made overseas. Not sure. Got 'em from a US distributor but can't be 100% sure. Anyone know an American rubber ducky manufacturer?

Now, as for the cases I encourage everyone to experiment with cases and if MS1605 wants to sell some of his creations here he's more than welcome to. We have a few designs in the works that we'll be making with our new laser cutter. If you were at Derbycon you may have seen the wooden prototype case I was sporting. Still need to find a source for the leather strap. Going for a oldschool Western feel there.

I hope soon we'll have several enclosure options available. I think there are compatible generic USB enclosures from digikey and the like similar to the ubertooth. And we just made an order here recently for empty USB drive enclosures so we'll have 'em on the hakshop as soon as they come in. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks D, didnt want to step on any toes...

I actually had a few of these usb cases laying around since, as you pointed out in the vblog, they're usually give aways at trade shows or conferences so I figured why not open one up and see if the ducky would fit! :) There's just something about a thumb drive that the regular average Joe user will just trust and have no qualms about putting it in his/her computer.

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of great case mods that people are going to come up with. I'm excited to see how great of a tool this is and how everything is progressing!

I actually had a few of these usb cases laying around since, as you pointed out in the vblog, they're usually give aways at trade shows or conferences so I figured why not open one up and see if the ducky would fit! :) There's just something about a thumb drive that the regular average Joe user will just trust and have no qualms about putting it in his/her computer.

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of great cases that people are going to come up with. I'm excited to see how great of a tool this is and how everything is progressing!