Hak5 Chopping Block

Darren Kitchen

Just incase you ever wondered what it looks like when a segment it put together.

hak5choppingblockuw2.jpg

The 8 layers in order are:

Lower Third text1 (heading)

Lower Third text2 (mainly URLs)

Lower Third Graphic (rendered on blue screen, chroma keyed)

B-Roll (pre/post rec'd fullscreens)

Camera 1 (Throw cam for watson)

Camera 2 (Main cam, wide)

Camera 3 (Guest cam)

Master Audio

As you can see I simply layer up the sync'd video feeds from each camera, make my cuts, and delete clips to make the camera switch. In this instance camera 3 is the base cam. To save disk space later I may go back and delete redundant video.

Damn seeing these music or video softwares gives me itches. Evry time i tried one i've gone mad. You rules :P . I'm just able to record mic with audacity and select and extract a scene from a film with virtual dub.

So do you record with all 3 cameras, at 3 different angles, record all audio to one camera, and then feed them all into the computer , each with its own track or layer?

How do you sync then? Via some timecode(smpte) or do you just move the tracks(layers) back and forth timewise and do it by ear, eye?

I just got a cheap DV cam(zr500) and have premeire 6 , and want to start messing around with this stuff as soon as I have time.

So do you record with all 3 cameras, at 3 different angles, record all audio to one camera, and then feed them all into the computer , each with its own track or layer?

How do you sync then? Via some timecode(smpte) or do you just move the tracks(layers) back and forth timewise and do it by ear, eye?

I just got a cheap DV cam(zr500) and have premeire 6 , and want to start messing around with this stuff as soon as I have time.

Yes, yes, and yes.

You may have actually heard us *beep* on the show before in bloopers. Those beeps are what we use to sync. It used to be that we'd manually hit record on each camera, beep, then I'd sync in post. But since we're using 3 of the same camera we now use a single IR remote to tell all three to record at once. So far it's been dead on which is saving me a lot of time.