Is It Morally Just To Ddos Impersonation Sites?

ki4jgt

Keeping in mind that this is just for discussion ONLY. This is a site about white hat hacking by the way. is it morally just to DDoS impersonation sites? Example: I recently received this email

Dear Craigslist member,

You are required to update and verify your

Craigslist Account because of the high number of scamers.

In order to update and verify your account click here or login to

https://accounts.craigslist.org and complete the form.

Craigslist Team

All rights reserved.

Copyright ? 2011 Craigslist.

Would it still be white hat to DDoS it? The reason I asked is because a friend and I got into a discussion about it a few days back. We both saw pros and cons to the situation. I've already made several posts online about it, so I couldn't really do it without getting in legal trouble LOL (Not planning anything :-))

One of the responses I got was: If you killed a prisoner on death row, you would still have committed a crime.

In my opinion: If I stop a murderer/phishing site from killing/phishing then I would be in no legal trouble. Why is this any different?

***NOTE: This thread is to discuss the moral implications of DDoSing a forgery site. It does not in any way promote illegal activity, just the free flow of ideas.

/discuss please

Personally I don't think it would be morally just to DDOS the site, as a DDOS will have impact on the network hosting the site and any other networks connected through the routers that route to the site. It isn't just the one site.

To put it into your analogy it would be like gunning down the murderer in a busy public area, thus killing the murderer and any of the general public near by.

If you ddos their site, you're going to make a new enemy, and why would you want to do that if you didn't have to? Let Craigslist deal with it, they have teams for this stuff, forward the email to their security department and forget about it.

Besides, I think the best approach to this type of stuff is being resilient to the attacker. We need to learn to expect phishing and cope with it, not ddos every malicious site out there.

If you ddos their site, you're going to make a new enemy, and why would you want to do that if you didn't have to? Let Craigslist deal with it, they have teams for this stuff, forward the email to their security department and forget about it.

Besides, I think the best approach to this type of stuff is being resilient to the attacker. We need to learn to expect phishing and cope with it, not ddos every malicious site out there.

Bit curios though, how would I have a new enemy?