Home Theatre Pc Psu Selection Question

Satal Keto

I am currently looking to build myself a reasonable Home Theatre PC (HTPC), that will also act as a basic server. Unfortunately although I'm a reasonably good programmer I have very little experience with hardware, so was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

As a base for the set up I have been using a recent blog post from Jeff Atawood Revisiting the Home Theater PC. The problem with this is that the PSU that is being suggested doesn't appear to have as many SATA connections as I would require, as I'm looking to have a minimum of three HDDs (two 2TB HDDs in RAID 1 and another HDD for the OS) as well as a BluRay drive.

The PSU suggested in Jeff's post was a PicoPSU, which looks quite nice as they from what I've read are quite efficient, really small and more importantly for a HTPC silent.

I remembered that Darren had a PSU that wasn't huge when building the cluster (episode 8x23), but when checking the notes there isn't a specific make/model which would give me a start for my search.

So I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for PSU's that I could get that would give a few more SATA power cables and preferably be as small/efficient as possible.

Thanks for any help you guys can give in advance.

Satal :)

UPDATE

After more research I realised that Darren had specified that the PSU was a 1U, which has given me a starting point.

I am now currently contempating getting this, which although it doesn't have 4 SATA power cables does have a Molex power cable so I could use a Molex to SATA converter cable.

I still welcome any suggestions/comments, as I would like to ensure that I get the HTPC right first time if possible.

Edited by Satal Keto

The configuration I was thinking was;

Motherboard: ASRock H67M-ITX Socket LGA1155 DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz (Sandybridge)

RAM: Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 2 x 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory

BluRay Drive: Samsung SH-B123L 12x BD-ROM DVD±RW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATA Optical Drive

HDD x2: Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA

Case, I was thinking starting off with a cardboard box until I can make something like the frames Darren has made.

I have been looking around myself and I'm currently looking at 12V 150W PicoPSU-150-XT but a little offput by the price of the brick that would need to get with it (at least another £40)