User Adventures

Tru-Tek

Hello everyone! I just found this site a couple of days ago so I am brand new to Hak5. Might I say that this site is very well put together and very educational! Wanted to ask a question. Being a seasoned I.T. professional for over 15 years I ran into the most horrible user for the past two days. They ask you a question and you attempt to walk them through and they do nothing... I ended up doing a remote session with them to fix it myself. TWICE!!! I am normally patient, but when it comes to these types of people I ran out of patience real quick! My question is how do you deal with a user that is completely ignorant of PC's. You want to walk over there and take their PC away and give them a typewriter! :blink: LOL!

Let me guess are you working for an IT help desk or something alike. Well, I used to work for an IT help desk before and I can share your frustration very much. Let's put this way, its very hard to deal with clients over the phone. They can become very impatient and intolerable.

Not all clients are like that it all depends who you run into to. I did a lot of training to learn how to deal with that sort of clients and in the end I just gave up on the job I just couldn't bear with the frustration and stupidity of the clients.

But one thing I learned was that they become very appreciative of you, if you are on site with them resolving their issue. So even If you can't go on site, get someone who can, its easy that way, you don't stress yourself nor the client.

Well generally when you get an ID-10 T error, you them them PEBKAC and then tell them you will forward the call to someone who can help them. Then put them on hold and wait. Eventually, they will figure out that you aren't coming back on the line.

Actually I am a jack of all trades. I build entire networks from the ground up as well as end user support. I install the cabling and at times phones. From Microsoft SBS to Novell to firewalls managed and unmanaged switches and monitoring. We deal alot with small to medium sized businesses and municipal cities, public safety, etc. This individual was the first one that actually frustrated me. I normally do not get that frustrated but I am sure that the person on the other end could hear it in my voice. I was just curious how others handles a situation such as this.

Mike

True Technologies

http://www.tru-tek.com

Well generally when you get an ID-10 T error, you them them PEBKAC and then tell them you will forward the call to someone who can help them. Then put them on hold and wait. Eventually, they will figure out that you aren't coming back on the line.

Or at least you come back to tell them that someone will get back to them, rather than having them holding on the line, which is a bit rude and unprofessional if you were to do that.

Or at least you come back to tell them that someone will get back to them, rather than having them holding on the line, which is a bit rude and unprofessional if you were to do that.

I agree. I couldn't imagine just leaving someone on hold like that. Plus, if you work for a company, that would be a good way to get a customer/client complaint, and one step closer to have them boot you out the door. One method i have done is told customers is that i cannot help them any further on the phone and that they would either have to come in, or pay for a tech to come to their location. Because of coasts, they usually bring in their computer and it makes easier to get them out the door after that without any more problems dealing with them and then they no longer seam to have a problem. One of the best services i've seen is charging someone $100 to come to their house to train them on how to use their equipment for an hour, and $50 an hour after that. either you make alot of money teaching them how to use their equipment, or you make alot of money repairing their equipment over and over because they cant learn no matter how many times you tell them because they need to be trained (with examples) over and over again untill they get it

That was a joke....ugh...Did you not see the ID 10 T and PEBKAC? ID 10 T = idiot and PEBKAC = problem exists between keyboard and chair.

That was a joke....ugh...Did you not see the ID 10 T and PEBKAC? ID 10 T = idiot and PEBKAC = problem exists between keyboard and chair.

I totally missed that one, to be honest!