Premeum Hosting/php With Ruby?

i8igmac

Im looking to start my own forum, there are a few questions i have, i would like to start with a server from home but im not sure how to get traffic... what services would you recommend... i have read a little bit on meta tags but read this is no promise to bring traffic so maybe i could see some examples on how you have used meta tags to increase traffic on your site...

i have my own tools i code with ruby to perform small useful task for the site, so if i manage to get a forum up and fully functional i would then pay for a premaum service but are there any that include ruby?

Check out "Deluxe 4GH" plan at Godaddy, it supports Ruby CGI and Ruby on Rails w/FASTCGI

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=9009

any tips on increasing traffic? im clueless!

Yeah. Learn SEO, and update the site regularly with fresh content. By the way, I would avoid GoDaddy like the plague. Just my personal experience.

Edited by digip

By the way, I would avoid GoDaddy like the plague. Just my personal experience.

Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Lets just say from personal experience, them having a HUGE footprint of servers all over the world, they don't seem to implement the same level of security across that footprint. Where as some segments of their network and servers are secure, twice as many are not. I had a clients site who was hacked several times a few years ago, and I basically tracked it down to bad PHP settings, not disallowing RFI attacks. Basically appending a url to certain php files, allowed them to upload backdoors, something I had to go in and disable in php.ini. It was allow_url_fopen or something like that. Don't remember exactly, but I think that was the issue.

Here is some recent news as well: http://thehackernews.com/2011/09/godaddy-websites-compromised-with.html

Edited by digip

Oh that article, yeah I read it the other day.

Host your site from home. For a beginning site 5Mb up should be more than enough. If you have an extra computer laying around, and install ubuntu server you have a processor dedicated SOLELY to serving your content which is a huge plus. Then there is the modularity handling the installation yourself. You just can't go wrong. Make sure to read everything about hardening your website though. Like these guys said, many premium website hosting services cut corners when it comes to security.

Edited by Hamad

• 2 weeks later...

And to think Hak5 constantly advertised GoDaddy because they were their sponsor.

Give http://ariotek.co.uk/ a try.

I use them, have for years. They are a small outfit based in Scotland and because they are small the customer service is 110%

Ask on their forum on the pre-sales section if they support Ruby. They appear to have Ruby Gems, is that related?