Pineapple Flashing Problems

Hello All. I am having problems flashing my Open Mesh router with Jasager and webif. Telnet is refusing the connection, I can SSH in but it is empty, and I can access the web interface but it only says "Permission Denied". I am trying to do this from Ubuntu 10.04 and here are the steps I am following.

1. First I download the following files: openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma

2. I then download the flashing application: wget http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/sven-ola/area51/ap51-flash

3. I then chmod: chmod +x ap51-flash

4. Here is where it gets weird. I have my eth0 interface set to "192.168.1.99". But when I start the flasher by issing "sudo ./ap51-flash eth0 openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma" it displays my IP as "192.168.0.0" and the router IP as "192.168.0.1". This is wrong as that is not my IP nor is that the IP of the router (the router's true IP is 192.168.1.1.

5. After this I am able to SSH in, but I am greeted with an empty prompt. If I issue a "ls" it replies empty. I was able to telnet in one time to install the opkg files (they were copied to /tmp via SCP) and enable wifi but now when I try to telnet in I receive "telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused"

Would anyone be able to recommend any solutions or possibly other utilities I can use to flash the open mesh router?

I was not able to accurately identify the version but the model number is "MR3201A-38NQ". I bought it from Darren at the Hak5 shop several months back.

I should say that I was able to successfully flash it once, and if I remember correctly I followed the same steps as I described before so I do believe it to be possible.

I have still yet to try to flash it in Windows so I will have to go to an internet cafe tomorrow to give that a shot. Is anyone familiar with any tools I would be able to use to flash it in linux besides the one I am already using (ap51-flash)?

Thank you for the advice.

Tried several things and having mixed results. I switched to another Ubuntu machine and was able to successfully re-flash the router with "openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma" using "ap51-flash". (Was not able to on EEE).

I was then able to telnet in to change the pw. After that I was able to ssh in and install X-WRT and it's dependency (.ipk files)

When I unplugged the cable and then switched to using my EEE, the router became erratic. I was able to ssh in one time after that, then I tried to telnet in and the default password wasn't working, then ssh stops responding completely. The router however responded to pings. The karma web interface is still accessible but I can't get to the X-WRT router web int. I'm starting to think my EEE just doesn't like the pineapple.

I tried the 30/30/30 reset which wasn't successfull.

After playing around with it more, I have found that everything seems to work fine except for SSH. I seem to be able to flash it ok (although there were 2 times when "network is unreachable" happened in the middle of a flash). After I flash it I can reboot it and telnet in fine. The problem comes when I try to set a password. I will issue the "passwd" command in the telnet session and change the password and reboot once again. After that I will try to ssh in, and it tells me that every password is wrong. I am however able to connect to the Jasager web interface on port 1471. Could it be a host key or some sort of key issue that is preventing my SSH sessions from working?

After a full night of geeking out I got the problem fixed. For some reason, on my setups (Ubuntu 10.04, EEEPC) there is some kind of error if I try to connect to the pineapple while connected to a wireless network (very worrying since I want to setup ICS).

Big thanks to those who offered advice.

After a full night of geeking out I got the problem fixed. For some reason, on my setups (Ubuntu 10.04, EEEPC) there is some kind of error if I try to connect to the pineapple while connected to a wireless network (very worrying since I want to setup ICS).

Big thanks to those who offered advice.

If your wireless network is in the same subnet as the pineapple then that is why.

If you search around the forums you will find my google doc on how I set my Fon up to be a pineapple and setup the IP addresses on different schemes.