Computer Room Setup | Home Office

Sprouty

Hi,

I'm looking to set up one of the rooms in the house to a small computer room/home office space And was just wondering what should be included? At the moment the only thing i can think about putting in there is the computer and a small white board?

Anyone got a similar set up going and willing to share ideas pictures?

Cheers,

Sprouty.

What Kind of Computers do you have (laptops, Desktops, Smart phones, Tablets, etc...)?

What kind of stuff are you thinking about doing in the office (Hobbies, Tech, Business, etc.. )?

What kind of equipment do you have/looking at getting for the Office?

How much space are we talking about?

Any other information about your plans that you don't mind sharing

As far as what I would do, I would set up a rack mount server with its own display, high end desktop with at least 2 (preferably at least 3) displays, a usb docking station for my laptop, and a full entertainment system for the desktop (I really love multi-taksing). Of course i would set up an electronic locking system that only I or an extremely trusted individual, i.e. spouse or best friend (for some reason all my good friends are also good with tech.... figures), and some cameras that the server would monitor. I would also make sure that any information/media store in the office could be streamed to any other part of the house (depending on users privileges).

but that's me, and I have issues about over doing it at times.

Hard to improve on Error's concept, however I found hanging a little bit of pegboard to be quite helpful. You can customize it to your liking, with almost an unlimited number of possibilities. Personally, I had two power strips zip tied on each side, freezer size zip lock bag for some spare parts(cabling, screws etc) and a couple quick access tools dangling from hangers (multi bit screwdriver, compressed air, tweezers, flash light etc) Unfortunately I don't have any pics of my old setup, but google certainly has plenty if you need inspiration. My local Home Depot had everything I needed, but if you're going for looks, I've seen some acrylic pieces online which some pretty nifty designs. - R.S.5

What Kind of Computers do you have (laptops, Desktops, Smart phones, Tablets, etc...)?

What kind of stuff are you thinking about doing in the office (Hobbies, Tech, Business, etc.. )?

What kind of equipment do you have/looking at getting for the Office?

How much space are we talking about?

Any other information about your plans that you don't mind sharing

As far as what I would do, I would set up a rack mount server with its own display, high end desktop with at least 2 (preferably at least 3) displays, a usb docking station for my laptop, and a full entertainment system for the desktop (I really love multi-taksing). Of course i would set up an electronic locking system that only I or an extremely trusted individual, i.e. spouse or best friend (for some reason all my good friends are also good with tech.... figures), and some cameras that the server would monitor. I would also make sure that any information/media store in the office could be streamed to any other part of the house (depending on users privileges).

but that's me, and I have issues about over doing it at times.

I embrace User Error's idea all the way and like it very much. I plan on doing the same in my room, but I will be going over the edge a little bit (hardcore stuff).

Hard to improve on Error's concept, however I found hanging a little bit of pegboard to be quite helpful. You can customize it to your liking, with almost an unlimited number of possibilities. Personally, I had two power strips zip tied on each side, freezer size zip lock bag for some spare parts(cabling, screws etc) and a couple quick access tools dangling from hangers (multi bit screwdriver, compressed air, tweezers, flash light etc) Unfortunately I don't have any pics of my old setup, but google certainly has plenty if you need inspiration. My local Home Depot had everything I needed, but if you're going for looks, I've seen some acrylic pieces online which some pretty nifty designs. - R.S.5

I like to keep a computer room and my work space separate. Compressed air does work well for a computer room, but an air compressed is SOOO much better, and you dont really want to be blowing all that bad air around your servers and other equipment. Besides, how do you expect me to put a CNC mill in an office space? :P

Edited by User Error

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

The room is very small: 7'4 x 6'2 (2.24m x 1.88m). It would be more a Office space, were i could work from home, and develop my side projects.

I currently have three computers, two monitors, and two laptops. I wanted to put a white board in there two put ideas down along with T.V.

Physical security is not really a concern for me. If the misses wants to use the computer or family they are welcome. I also have a ton of documents that i need to find a home for. I'm really trying to come up with a few ideas on the layout and the look of the room (even down to colors and lighting). Any suggestion would be brilliant.

Cheers,

Sprouty

Good sources for this are [H] and /g/.

Post your workstation 2011 thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1573489

Case mod gallery has all sorts of threads with pics of battlestations: http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

I haven't been on /g/ in a while, but last I was there, people were posting battlestation pics daily and trolling about gentoo: http://4chan.org/g/

In the end, only you know what you have and want to do :)

Good sources for this are [H] and /g/.

Post your workstation 2011 thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1573489

Case mod gallery has all sorts of threads with pics of battlestations: http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

I haven't been on /g/ in a while, but last I was there, people were posting battlestation pics daily and trolling about gentoo: http://4chan.org/g/

In the end, only you know what you have and want to do :)

I saw the images posted in those forums and frankly speaking some of those guys have a really hardcore set up.