Itt Tech Questions

Depends on the teacher and how much extra work you put in when not in class. Networking and computers are a constantly evolving thing, but the fundamentals of networking are still pretty much the same as they have always been since the inception of network, with the addition of new protocols. Personally, I feel you can never have enough information and education in this regard. I started studying networking on my own, and then took the classes to be able to ask the questions I still had when I couldn't learn or understand it all on my own. Turned out, I knew pretty much everything they taught me in class, but I still enjoyed the class and learned somethings that I never had known before taking them, such as the OSI model, and a better understanding of subnetting.

Computers are one of those things that you have to do the tasks continuously to retain a lot of the info though, as not any one person can sit a class and know everything there is to know, so be all means, take the class, but know that to understand and learn it, you need to practice it on a regular basis as well if you want to be proficient in it.

Courses I enjoyed the most, were the networking and cisco based classes, and classes I loathed the most, were my MCSA/MCSE classes. Not that I don't understand windows, but Microsoft just does some things, that after having a cisco class, see counter productive, or even, completely backwards from the way you would network things in cisco devices. That said, pay attention, and suck up everything you can like a sponge and above all, practice everything you learn, and don't be afraid to speak up when you don't understand something. If you're paying to be educated, be sure to participate and ask questions, or it only hurts yourself in the long run. Don't think you know everything, because you will find out, there is always something to learn, even for seasoned geeks.

I have at least 3 people who work here in this it department that go there and 2 that teach there, however people that go there have told me that there is something funny with the acredidation and it was "not worth the cost of attending" I was also told your credits wont transfer. But I havent verified that.

Thank you for the replies. Is there some good websites out there that can help me in anyway like with linux,networks and other stuff? All that I have access to right now is my netbook and whatever hot spots I can find,plus the netbook is running mint linux so I'm not completely dumb about things,just very newbish.

Thanks for any help.

lots of video tutorials around the web and plenty of downloadable text materials too. Security Tube has a wifi megaprimer available for download, which is a huge volume of information, not to mention the rest of their videos in general. If you want basic through advanced networking, start with learning how ethernet, subnetting, and the OSI model work, then learn about the ports and protocols, services, and authentication methods used in different services, requirements for firewalls, port forwarding, etc.

If you want to get into networking and taking classes, personally, I would skip ITT tech, and look into schools in your area, even community colleges or vocational/tech schools other than ITT, that teach Comptia's Network+, as well as Cisco CCNA classes. Those two right there, would do anyone well to learn networking, and while you might think you know how all that works, I can guarantee there are things you would have never even thought of or knew about. Then go in for the Microsoft MCSA stuff, which will teach you everything you ever want to know about setting up Active Directory, Domains and Domain Controllers, DHCP and DNS servers. They also get into Exchange servers, but personally, I hated learning exchange, and to this day, will not touch the stuff. Biggest pain in the ass. Ever. But definitely check out Network+, CCNA, and MCSA reading materials, whatever you can get your hands on, and if possible, classes on those three. That will more than prime you for any other avenue of IT, like entry to security and such. Have to learn to walk before you can run basically.

I'm an ITT Tech student and i must admit, i have mixed feelings. They have some great teachers, but the way they tell them to teach hinders the students a lot. Ive learned a lot and will continue to learn (CNS to ISS). I feel its worth it.

Hmmm,well right now I have limited choices for schools in this area. Well I guess I will just have to do the self teaching thing again,learning how to run linux on my netbook,learning to fix my old desktop system and trying to not blow stuff up. >:)

One last thing,what would be a good linux distro to learn and work with,something that will help with IT work?

Z

Hmmm,well right now I have limited choices for schools in this area. Well I guess I will just have to do the self teaching thing again,learning how to run linux on my netbook,learning to fix my old desktop system and trying to not blow stuff up. >:)

One last thing,what would be a good linux distro to learn and work with,something that will help with IT work?

Since you have some linux experience I would suggest archlinux that way you have to do all the setup yourself. You will really be able to get your hands dirty setting it up. No gui install. Then run some servers to play with maybe play with iptables, setup and manage vpns. Etc.

• 1 month later...

I went to ITT for a year or so and I have to say it was extremely expensive and I don't think the debt I accumulated was worth it. I like the atmosphere of ITT but it's a lot of money. I sat in on several computer science classes at a community college and I noticed the teachers had the same credentials at the comm college and at IT, most were ex-network/system admin's who got tired of the grind and started teaching. Their security program was really popular but the teachers didn't really have a security background which made me think rip off. Be sure to do your research.

Personal Itt tech experience-

I never attended there but I was looking into their security programs. For an associates degree it would be 48,000 bucks. You could get a four year degree at a 4 year campus for that. Or do what I am doing and be a floater around you local colleges. I am getting an associates in network administration,an associates in programming, an associates in web authorizing. Then in about a year and a half I am taking it to get my security degree in one of the top ten greatest security schools in the nation.(i believe rated 4 or 10) The only problem with doing what I am doing is 21 credit hours a week and trying to study for certifications on the side. In this field school never ends, my grandfather worked was the lead network administrator the largest phone service provider in the United States and he had to to Iceland every few years for months at a time just to learn new systems.....

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on admission, however I would advise against enrolling. As people have said, It is too expensive for what you are getting. Your money would be better spent at a 4-year university instead of a for-profit school from which your credits WILL NOT TRANSFER.

• 2 weeks later...

My old manager who was a excellent SysAdmin decided to go thinking it would help legitimize him for moving up the management tree. His first frustration was even with years of experience he had to start at entry level courses and pay for them. I couldn't believe what the place costs. I have been involved with music education for a long time and think the same thing applies how good a school is is up to you. You have to throw yourself into school look for others to hang with with same level of interest and if there are office hours with instructors find the good ones and ask and learn. Go home have a lab and continue to experiment. Find places to volunteer and get some real world experience. While in school live and breath your major its only for a year or two.

As someone who has been on the interview process at all the places I've worked being about to talked about issues and how you resolved them means more than schooling. Showing that you can think on your feet is what potential employers want to hear.

As someone who has been on the interview process at all the places I've worked being about to talked about issues and how you resolved them means more than schooling. Showing that you can think on your feet is what potential employers want to hear.

This is true, but it actually goes back and fourth like a three-way tug-of-war between certifications, experience and schooling...

• 1 month later...

ITT TECH is by far the worst college ever i spent in total 4 years in that worthless peice of shit and didnt learn a godam thing

i majored in Information System Security , and Data Forensics Analysis i wasted in total over $20k+ for nothing

However you may learn something but then again you may not this is coming from my side and not yours , This may be a good thing for you to do however ITT TECH is pathetic

in the course of over the 4 years i went there we had 3 deans get fired , half the teachers dont know what the fuck there even teaching

But enough of my ranting i hope you learn something mate

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that some teachers aren't very brilliant... i got lucky enough to get some pretty epic teachers.

I go there and you can learn allot if you actually study and do the work but the grading system is set up so if you show up and do the in class assignments no matter what you do on the test and finals you will at least pass with a c average which i don't believe its right. i am tutoring some of my fellow students and some of them can't even create a folder on their flash drive to keep it organized. This is no joke and he is passing with a b average and still has not learned anything by his own admission.

Edited by mreidiv

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest to that also, I'm holding an A average and to me it seems easy but there are others who are struggling to maintain a B average. Maybe it is because I'm trying and reading the books and using Google and YouTube on stuff I do not understand. Or maybe it is just cause I want a better job than pushing carts at Walmart, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest to that also, I'm holding an A average and to me it seems easy but there are others who are struggling to maintain a B average. Maybe it is because I'm trying and reading the books and using Google and YouTube on stuff I do not understand. Or maybe it is just cause I want a better job than pushing carts at Walmart, who knows.

This is the main issue as to why people struggle. Helping adults learn when they don't want to put in a full effort is... difficult at best. Also, since ITT is a private college its made for making money, IE its a business. ITT sells on giving people chances to make career changes and a lot (most) of these people who get these ideas sold to them aren't cut out for working with computers.

• 2 months later...

I have at least 3 people who work here in this it department that go there and 2 that teach there, however people that go there have told me that there is something funny with the acredidation and it was "not worth the cost of attending" I was also told your credits wont transfer. But I havent verified that.

ITT is not accredited, in fact they were raided by the feds several years back for claiming just that. They are a for-profit institution and they pressure their instructors to pass the students through so that they can continue to receive the students Pell Grants and federal student loans. You would be much better off going to a community college for certificates (you can get these without losing financial aid now) and getting either an AA/AS or transferring to a University. The cost of going to college actually comes out less.

EDIT: Here are a couple links about this, you can find many more with a Google search. Stay away from for-profit institutions at all costs, they exist to make a profit and are almost never accredited. You could print out your own degree and it would be worth just about as much.

http://certcities.com/editorial/news/story.asp?EditorialsID=571&page=45

http://www.ripoffreport.com/adult-career-continuing-education/itt-technical-instit/itt-technical-institute-ripoff-apf66.htm

Edited by redhook

ITT and other schools like that are for people that think "oh well i'm tired of flipping burgers at McDonalds and I wanna work on computers now cause I own a Dell"

Like rehook stated..get an AA/AS at a community college and call it good. Most community colleges also have Certification classes. Well a couple here in Kansas do.

I went to ITT from 2005-2006 and liked some of the classes and actually learned quite a lot. However, towards the beginning of 2006 it all went to hell. One of my teachers just stopped coming to class. Half of the class was online and the other half was on campus. The online work was supposed to come after we learned the material on the campus. Even though the teacher stopped coming we were still expected to come to class (with no teacher) and complete the online work, which we hadn't learned yet. My friend and I complained that the teacher wasn't coming and the dean told us, "It's not my problem". Wow... Also, we were not allowed to receive a refund for the class and were not allowed to withdraw, so now I have an "F" on my transcripts from ITT. Luckily, that didn't stop me from getting into a real college shortly afterwards.

With all of that said, I think it really depends on which ITT you go to. I don't think all of them are that bad but at least the one I attended was.

For those who live in FL, you might consider coming to Orlando and going to Valencia College. It was just given the Aspen Award for being the best community college in the country. They have a great Computer Engineering Technology transfer plan to UCF, where you go to Valencia for 2 years for an AS and then continue at UCF for your BS.

Valencia is a great school, and they are starting to offer 4 year degrees. I'm sure that CET will be a 4 year degree soon.

Also, we were not allowed to receive a refund for the class and were not allowed to withdraw, so now I have an "F" on my transcripts from ITT. Luckily, that didn't stop me from getting into a real college shortly afterwards.

Why would that have any effect? ITT is not an accredited institution. Very few of their course credits are transferable.