Network Error, Needs Help.

r4v37t

It seems my network at my workplace got some error, anyway I don't really understand about network but I want learn more.

This happen like this:

1. My network at my workplace it's set up to bridge(manually to setting IP address).

2. But recently we got some errors, which we not able to browse or ping to internet.

3. Like I know, if we set up an IP address same like another computer IP address when we confirm the settings, it's show an alert which it's say my IP address already used. But in this case, when I set up an IP address and I confirm that settings there nothing alert, but in 2-5 second the settings have confirm, windows show an alert where like another computer set up same IP address like me.

What happen in my network at my workplace?

How it's happen?

Um, the error tells you what happened. Another machine already in use with the same IP. Someone probably set the IP manually when DHCP is handing them out in the same range. Only set IP addresses manually for addresses not handled or reserved in DHCP. Also, if two people manually set the same IP, you will get a conflict.

Um, the error tells you what happened. Another machine already in use with the same IP.

Yep the error tell me an another machine is use same IP like me, but the error come after 3-5 second after I confirm the IP set up.

Someone probably set the IP manually when DHCP is handing them out in the same range. Only set IP addresses manually for addresses not handled or reserved in DHCP.

I'm didn't set to DHCP but to STATIC because if I'm set the wireless to DHCP the IP that I'm set can be 'dead' without any reason from the 'Network Admins' at my workspace. So I'm set the wireless to STATIC so any machine will set up their machine.

*NB: Wireless access is protected by password and not more than 10 machine is connected to wireless. And also any machine which connected to wireless is able to use an IP at range 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.45.200

Also, if two people manually set the same IP, you will get a conflict.

Yes, but if it is have conflict, machine which set an IP address will get error immediately after apply the setting. Not like in my case an error message will come after I apply the setting in 3-5 second.

Some people say my network damage by virus, it's true??

Just make sure your DHCP is leasing ip addresses to all your machines and you should be fine. If its not than it could be something to do with the configuration on your router's DHCP settings.

Like everyone else mentioned, you don't have to manually set an ip address if you already have a DHCP server. If you are running servers, it would be wise to add a reservation to your DHCP server. So that way, there is no conflicts.

Edit: Understanding how IP address conflicts happens is not a rocket science, but if you need a hand to understand it better, just read these articles below.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/f/ip_conflict.htm

http://cws.internet.com/article/3735-.htm

Edited by Infiltrator

Problem is, if he is on the other side of the bridge than the router, unless its configured to forward DHCP he will never get an address from the router via DHCP. They would need to set up another machine or server on the bridged side, that speaks to a DHCP relay on the other side, so the broadcasts can hit both segments of the network. Becomes a mess when trying to do DHCP into a zone that doesn't forward broadcast from the gateway, since they will stop at the bridge, nothing on the side that isn't directly on the router will get assigned an address.

Thats kind of the point of a bridge, to cut down on broadcast storms while segregating two parts of the network from one another, but also causes other problems like DHCP to stop at the bridge.

Google for "dhcp relay" and "dhcp through bridge"

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1436&bih=744&q=+dhcp+relay+through+bridge&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Edited by digip

You will need to determine, what assets have what IP address and make sure they are all unique. That should resolve your IP address conflict problem.