Yellow Dog

degoba

I just recently purchased an imac from ebay. Hey ya cant beat 40 bucks. It had the latest version of panther, but due to my paranoid dellusions I reformatted the harddrive and reinstalled it.

I have been eyeing yellow dog linux, and was wondering if any mac users on this forum have had any experience with it. If so what are your impressions of it?

I thought about being smug and installing freebsd 4.3 on it but decided that I want full multimedia support etc. etc.

Are there any linux solutions that are pretty much multimedia ready out of the box?

(I dont exactly like the Idea of setting a linux noob friend up with linux, as he'l flip if it cant play his movies)

TRAITOR!!!! INSTALL TIGER!

blasphomey. run linux on a mac. what next? 6ghz processors ;)

EDIT:

yellow dog costs money... http://ydl.net/

no it doesnt. Yellow dog is free. You are free to buy it if you would like. It is illegal for a company to use the linux kernel and charge for it. They have to provide it free somewhere.

TRAITOR!!!! INSTALL TIGER!

blasphomey. run linux on a mac. what next? 6ghz processors ;)

EDIT:

yellow dog costs money... http://ydl.net/

no it doesnt. Yellow dog is free. You are free to buy it if you would like. It is illegal for a company to use the linux kernel and charge for it. They have to provide it free somewhere.

Wrong, you can sell it aslong as you offer the person the chance to obtain the source code to the distro.

Thats basically what i meant tom. You can charge for it but you cannot force people to buy it as the only means of obtaining it. What I mean is that if you use the linux kernel you are free to charge for it so long as you provide the opportunity for people to obtain it for free somewhere, source code included.

Take OpenBSD for example. While it is compleatly free the provide no iso image to install with. Why? To try and get people to buy a pressed CD. In there FAQ it even says that you can create your own iso image and redistrabute it if you want.

Thats basically what i meant tom. You can charge for it but you cannot force people to buy it as the only means of obtaining it. What I mean is that if you use the linux kernel you are free to charge for it so long as you provide the opportunity for people to obtain it for free somewhere, source code included.

You don't have to offer it for free, aslong as the person buying it can get the source.

You can charge as much as you want for the software, but the GPL parts must either be included with full source, or be available that way upon request (and then distributed to you at a reasonable cost that should just cover the expenses.

HOWEVER, if someone paid to acquire your software, and then decides to redistribute it to the whole world for free, there's nothing illegal about that. It's what the 'free' bit in free software is all about. You bought it. It's your software now. Do with it as you please (but if you change and redistribute, you must provide the source of the changes along with it).

Straight from the horse's mouth.