*new* Unofficial Hak5 Challenge

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

I know I tried this before and it died off. But I want to try it again. So here we go:

If anyone wants to help with the challenges please PM me

*****DO NOT POST ANSWERS IN THE FORUM PM ME. POSTING IN THE FORUM WILL RUIN THE GAME*****

1) Open to all Hak5 members (Of course tongue.gif)

2) Challenges Range from Stenography to LM hash cracking to Reverse engineering

3) Challenges will be released in stages and there will be 3 stages with 4 Challenges in each

4) completing a challenge earns you points based on difficulty. (easy = 5 points Medium = 15 hard = 20)

5) Challenges will be left like clues. some on form some through PM some through third party sites (Special websites ONLY for this game).

6) After completing a challenge PM ME (Or one of the other 2 once I have 2 volunteers)! with the result in order to get the points! The result will be shown as "Challenge Code:

OR the decrypted contents (I.E password or text file). ****VERY IMPORTANT****OR YOU WILL NOT GET CREDIT!!!*****

7) Stages will be release like so:

[code]
Stage 1: Open to all Hak5 members (Starting point)

Stage 2: Open to any one who scored 55 points in Stage 1

Stage 3: Open to any one who scored 80 points in stage 2

Final Challenge: The first 3 users to complete stage 3 will compete in the final Challenge!

WINNER: Who ever completes the final challenge first! + 1 Second place prize as well.

PRIZES: (Please note I am supplying prizes and this is NOT an official hak5 sponsorship - Although They can sponsor if they want to :P)

First Place - Hak5 Wifi Pineapple

Second Place - Hak5 Swag - Anything from the hakshop that counts as swag (I.E. Shirt, hoodie, stickers, etc.) or a Throwing Start Lan Trap.

----------------

With out further a due:

Story

The Hak5 website and forums have been down for 24 hours. After e-mailing the Hak5 team and forum members you realize something isn't right and decide to investigate...

Stage 1 - Challenge 1

Skills: Google, Basic ASCII knowledge, Basic encoding knowledge.

You open your e-mail client and receive an urgent message from Hak5Darren The message reads:

V2UgbmVlZCB5b3VyIGhlbHAhIEl0IGFwcGVhcnMgRXZpbCBTZXJ2ZXIgaGFzIHRha2VuIG92ZXIg

aGFrNS5vcmchIEl0IGlzIHVwIHRvIFlPVSB0byBzYXZlIHRoZSBIYWs1IHNpdGUgYW5kIGZvcnVt

cyBmcm9tIHRvdGFsIGRlc3RydWN0aW9uIQ0KDQpUaGUgd2Vic2l0ZXMgb2xkIHBhc3N3b3JkcyB1

c2VkIHRvIGJlDQoNCktNQlRneXVhLSp8TE0iXA0KDQpqRXMoN1p4RWlDPkZQJjUtNA0KDQpyd3k7

MSs2cldgUTFkLg0KDQphbmQNCg0KYChjZzZ4cE5RcjA7Ig0KDQpUaGVzZSBtYXkgY29tZSBpbiBo

YW5keSBsYXRlciENCkNoYWxsZW5nZSBDb2RlOiAxMURlbHRhMkMxNC04MDEgKENoYWxsZW5nZSAx

KQ==

HINT:

Think ASCII and encoding

HINT 2:

SIXTY FOUR

Stage 1 - Challenge 2

Skills: Google, Basic Cryptography.

After reading the contents of the e-mail you proceed to hack into the Hak5's server with the information provided. After getting access you notice a text file with the following contents:

71f3714b1d31d32f17c74ff9af536247:5a979bef1aad79a4e01489ac4b58173e

Stage 1 - Challenge 3

Points: 15 + 5 bonus points if you find an Easter egg hidden.

Skills: Packet Captures/Wireshark, ARP, google.

As you look around the file system you discover a file named "Username Database.zip". You also notice the second file is a TrueCrypt volume.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3374394/User%20Database.zip

HINT

Not everything is as seems. Remember all of True Crypts features!

More to come. Enjoy :D

Edited by x942

PM sent. Not sure if I got everything you wanted from each step but gathered answers from all three.

How long is this challenge running for?

I just need a little bit of more time, to complete the last part.

Part 1 and part 2 are completed.

Guest Deleted_Account

How long is this challenge running for?

I just need a little bit of more time, to complete the last part.

Part 1 and part 2 are completed.

The challenge Will be running until all stages are complete. Stage 1 will end when a total off 55 points can be earned. After that who ever has 55 points will move on to the next stage. Stage 2 stays open until stage 3 opens and so on. The challenges are going to get more difficult as well. I approximate that stage one will be open for a good week or two.

The challenge Will be running until all stages are complete. Stage 1 will end when a total off 55 points can be earned. After that who ever has 55 points will move on to the next stage. Stage 2 stays open until stage 3 opens and so on. The challenges are going to get more difficult as well. I approximate that stage one will be open for a good week or two.

That's good to hear, thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

haha did the first one and completely failed on the other two.

I tried looking up that LM hash on the internet and failed miserably. All the website that I looked it up on, said something about it not being valid. So I'm still torrenting some LM rainbow tables to give another crack at it.

Download ophcrack and get the tables. if you get an error downloading the tables from source forge, try http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ophcrack/tables/ and http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/tables.php (hint: not going to do everything for you, but gets you on the right path ;) ).

Edited by digip

Guest Deleted_Account

I tried looking up that LM hash on the internet and failed miserably. All the website that I looked it up on, said something about it not being valid. So I'm still torrenting some LM rainbow tables to give another crack at it.

It works for me. But I am not sure what causes the issue. I pulled that format from a good source. I guess some sites don't work that well :P

It works for me. But I am not sure what causes the issue. I pulled that format from a good source. I guess some sites don't work that well :P

Well, given I was able to crack it, and you verified, it was a valid hash key. Just some sites might not have the correct hash type to crack or correct tables. Everyone else just needs to try harder.

Guest Deleted_Account

Well, given I was able to crack it, and you verified, it was a valid hash key. Just some sites might not have the correct hash type to crack or correct tables. Everyone else just needs to try harder.

LOL True enough.

Updates coming shortly I am finishing the next challenge right now.