Portable Vpn Solution

G-Stress

So putty is excellent for on the go/portable ssh, but is there a VPN alternative? For example let's say I have a windows box ready to accept PPTP connections, instead of having a friend, the client configure a VPN connection via windows built in utility is there a app/portable solution that will connect to a PPTP, L2TP, etc. VPN?

I'm not looking for any webservice soltions such as hamachi or nothing like that. Just a simple downloadable executable that will do all the work so all the user needs to really do is enter in the server address and credentials.

Thanks in advance.

Try OpenVPN, I've used it before and its very easy to set up and establish a connection. The only downside is that only supports two concurrent users, if you need more users, you will need to buy a license and its quite cheaper than Microsoft own licenses.

I use OpenVPN myself via Untanle. I love how easy and seamless that is to setup and connect. However installing OpenVPN on a box alone I've never gotten it to work. Also I would need more then 2 simultaneous connections at a time. I'm surprised there's not an app available for this. I checked portableapps.com with no luck did a little googling. I'm shocked actually.

The goal here is to make life easy on the client side, have then execute an app, maybe type in a username and pass and click connect. Without having them setup the connection manually.

I use OpenVPN myself via Untanle. I love how easy and seamless that is to setup and connect. However installing OpenVPN on a box alone I've never gotten it to work. Also I would need more then 2 simultaneous connections at a time. I'm surprised there's not an app available for this. I checked portableapps.com with no luck did a little googling. I'm shocked actually.

The goal here is to make life easy on the client side, have then execute an app, maybe type in a username and pass and click connect. Without having them setup the connection manually.

You can do that with OpenVPN too, if I remember correctly for the first time you have to run a small exe app on the client side, once its installed you double click on the shortcut it creates on the desktop and it then prompts you for a username and password.

But in order to install the exe app, you have to visit your openvpn server webpage, download the app and install it manually. But once installed its a one off thing, you don't have to go through this process twice.