Pineapple Jasager Router, Which To Puchase

what router to purchase for the DIY Pineapple

Ive read many forum threads, asked around in IRC, and seem to get conflicting answers. I have two questions so i will separate them.

1.What router is currently used for the Hak5 Pineapple?

I ask because i want to purchase my own router and flash it/set it up myself for the experience. If i understand correctly the fonera is discontinued and the Fon+ isnt compatible. I'm under the impression that currently the Hak5 store uses the Open Mesh router (which is also now discontinued per an older thread on the forums) and that the new open mesh mini router professional is not fully supported yet?

http://www.open-mesh.com/index.php/professional/professional-mini-router-us-plugs.html

thats my first question. My second question is regarding the FAQ for the pineapple, stating it works for up to 150 feet.

2) is it possible to extend the range of the pineapple, or purchase a different model router that may cost more but will give better performance ?

i also have a few other mini questions if anyone is interested

there was some talk about the jasager dev working with another project that worked on dd-wrt called piranha .. which that website seems to now be gone. Did this die off?

is there any updates coming to jasager? Is the dev still active, opensource? I would love to see something like .. firesheep incorporated

Thanks for your time and help

Seb has a working (but still limited) working jasager firmware for the OM1P (open-mesh mini pro router). And yes it is better than previous routers per the list I got from Open-Mesh support:

+ hardware watchdog chip

+ higher power (100mw vs 60mw)

+ diversity antenna

+ improved main antenna

+ runs cooler

+ passive POE support 6-12v

+ works with our small outdoor & wallplug enclosures

i have been informed that Various openmesh devices have a device built in to reboot them every 5 minutes if they aren't running the original firmware. can anyone comment on this, and if the pro mini is one of those devices...

also, i am unable to locate the member Seb in the member list to ask questions directly, can someone link me to their profile

who is sebastian, is he a member of the forums? can you link me to his/her profile please?

i mean, i could use the om1p for dd wrt if the jasager didnt work, but there are far better routers to purchase that i would prefer to have if i was just planning on using dd wrt.

not really sure how it works but, is jasager developed specifically for specific routers, or could it be installed on any router capable of running dd wrt?

any idea if the development is more so geared towards updating everything to work with the new router due to the older routers being discontinued, or if there are by chance any new bells and whistles being added?

if i understand correctly, considering openmesh is adding the watchdog chips, i have to assume that they dont like us flashing the routers with customer firmwares and hacking them to do new things. with that said, if we are able to bypass the watchdog chip, isnt it conceivable that openmesh would again discontinue the new mini pro for a new updated router with new security measures ect ect ?

seems like it would be smarter to target manufactures of similar routers that wouldn't care or would promote our interests as it will increase sales of hardware.

The chip is in place to automatically reboot it when connectivity is lost or when it's locked up. Nothing really to do with power spikes. And as of right now, it will not be utilized due to the bypassing of it to keep the router on and not constantly rebooting. Plus for such situations as the Phishing Pineapple, it would reboot every 5 minutes.

• 5 months later...

According to open-mesh developer documentation, they use two different chipsets. Not sure if flashing with the compiled firmware would work or not. Also there would be no out-of-the-box functionality for the second LAN port. Mark 4 should be out soon enough.

OM1P:

Target System ->

Atheros AR231x/AR5312

OM2P:

Target System ->

Atheros AR71xx/AR7240/AR913x/AR934x

Also the layout of the board differs. The data pins are in different locations and possibly not the same board model at all.

OM1P:

baudrate is    : 9600
flowcontrol    : none
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8

With the ethernet jack in front of you, the pinout should look like this:

+---+
 |GND|
 +---+
 |TXD|
 +---+
 |RXD|