Alfa Wifi What One Do I Want To Buy

co2shaun

I'm going to buy an alfa wifi card but not sure which one i want to get. I was looking at awus036h and AWUS036NH. This card will mostly be ran with backtrack 5. I will also be running this card some on the windows side and have an n router so that why i'm looking at n cards but I don't have to have N. From the little bit i have read it seems like in the past some alpha cards have been better supported than others. I just want to make sure i get the right card.

If you want it for BT5, just make sure it matches the cards that work on this page and you should be good to go: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Drivers

Yeah, usb adapters do get hot. I had one burn out and stop working cause radio signals create a lot of heat on these little boards. Best to keep cool with something you can sit it on, like a laptop fan that sits under a laptop, but put it under the wifi adapter if its getting too hot. Internal boards are cooled by the mother board fans, so generally not too much an issue. Some of the alpha cards have larger covers, might be interesting to get a dremel and mod a fan onto one and epoxy it to the outer shell, although I'm not sure if that would impede signal, but they have external antennas that should make it ok. With my Linksys Rt73 card, I use a USB extension cable, so its not plugged right into the front of the workstation, then I can snake it around the back and in front of the fans. Doesn't really help a whole lot, but I feel safer knowing some air is flowing over it. Signal isn't all that great to begin with on it, so doesn't seem to make much different in connections. I have to put it in monitor mode at 1MB/sec any way to get good injection and deauth, so stuff has to be like right close to me anyway.

Edited by digip

I picked up an AWUS036NH but was never able to get it to work, not even as a regular wifi adapter on 802.11g networks.

So I later picked up the AWUS036H and it works great, except that the drivers are missing ad-hoc mode (which is probably fine for most people, especially if you just care about monitor mode and injection).

I picked up an AWUS036NH but was never able to get it to work, not even as a regular wifi adapter on 802.11g networks.

So I later picked up the AWUS036H and it works great, except that the drivers are missing ad-hoc mode (which is probably fine for most people, especially if you just care about monitor mode and injection).

What version of backtrack were you running? I know some people have had problems with the AWUS036NH that's why i'm looking for some input. The built in wifi card in my laptop is N and I had some problems in backtrack 4 but for the most part they have went away in backtack 5.

What version of backtrack were you running? I know some people have had problems with the AWUS036NH that's why i'm looking for some input. The built in wifi card in my laptop is N and I had some problems in backtrack 4 but for the most part they have went away in backtack 5.

It's not a matter of which version of Backtrack. The problem is the driver for the AWUS036NH is incomplete and does not work, even in the latest snapshot.