1. 1.

• Yes
    • No, but I want to learn it
    • No and I won't you damn geeks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys know of any languages that will be useful to know?

For teh job:

Languages: C, C++, C# (high demand where I live), Java, ASP(.net), PHP.

Things misconstrued as programming languages that would be handy to know: M$ SQL, HTML, CSS, maybe mysql.

Little tidbit: SQL used to stand for Structured Query Language. However, it isn't a language, it isn't limited to queries, and not really all that structured. Now SQL is just SQL. I pronounce it "sequal" or "squeal" when I am mad at it, and the president of IT where I used to intern said you can't pronounce it "S-Q-L" because you'd get fired.

For teh College (at least mine):

Languages: C, C++, Java, Assembler

Other things: Nothing really for CS majors (that I know of).

For teh Open Source:

Languages: C, C++, Java, PHP, Python, maybe Perl, Shell Scripting (sh or bash)

Other things: mySQL, HTML, CSS

Generally speaking, you have to define what you want to be doing for what languages you want to learn. A lot of businesses go with Microsoft. A lot of schools go with a few languages, mainly for learning purposes. Most open source is done on languages that use mainly free compilers. For a first language, I learned Visual Basic 6 (real handy sometimes, but not the best language) but would recommend C++ or Java. Java forces you into OOP a bit, so until you are ready for that maybe C++ first.

i know visual BASIC (well enough for NCEA to be happy and for me to get A+ for my project :) )

i tryed perl for a bit (i had one of those 24hour books and i did the first 2 hours) so im going to get back into it sometime...sunday maybe

i know a little bit of HTML (so i can sort of understand what is written but not really write it, ive forgoten most of it. i might have to learn again some holiday)

i want to learn C++ but again i need time which i will be able to get enough of in the summer holidays hopefuly when i finish greesing to my parents to get me a laptop!!

I like the idea of us all working on a project together. The only language that i completely know is C. ive never been into making GUIs so it serves me well, i like getting into the nitty gritty low level stuff. If we're going to work on a project im in but i think it would be hard to get organized.

I like the idea of us all working on a project together. The only language that i completely know is C. ive never been into making GUIs so it serves me well, i like getting into the nitty gritty low level stuff. If we're going to work on a project im in but i think it would be hard to get organized.

I could provide a Subversion repository to Hak.5 ppl as long as it doesn't bone my server. 100mbit connection it has.

I code in basically any language that I need for the moment. After you've learned how to in one or two languages in the different classes of languages the rest is just differences in basic syntax and libraries, which is what you use the documentation for.

However, right now I mainly use C/C++, Java and PHP.

I code but its part of what I do for a living so unless an open source project interests me, which is very rare I am unwilling to help. 99% of the code I write is closed source, and that doesn’t bother me one bit.

I’m mainly a C and ASM man but I’m a strong believer of the right tool for the right job and I am happy working in:

Pascal

ASM

LISP

C

C++

C#

Java

Ruby

Perl

PHP

Python

COBOL

HTML

XHTML

CSS

VB

and a few other languages that aren’t used much.

Might sound noobish as i dont know any programming languages but if you no more then say two languages wont you get confused like with all the differant rules for each one.Also whats the hardest langauge to learn ?

I've heard Lisp is hard to understand, but you might consider assembler harder. To each his/her own. As far as getting confused between the languages, it is always handy to either have a good IDE with built in reference, or just know where to go to look up things. Java, for instance, has excellent documentation online and available for download.

nah only skiddie stuff ....

html

javascript

a lil php

a lil basic

and WTF is used to make batch scripts ? that ! ...

a few other things i kno a lil of but to little to mention .....

hmm does coding cs/cs:s/.... etc configs count ?

if you no more then say two languages wont you get confused like with all the differant rules for each one.

The 'rules' aren't all that different amongst the various languages. Usually the languages look sufficiently different to remind you instantly that this is language X. It sometimes happens that I write something up and run across a function that I need but don't recall how it should be called on the current language, but usually a swift lookup gets me back on track.

The main thing that you (should) learn with programming is the various constructs that will get you your desired result. After that, it's only minor semantic things.

Also whats the hardest langauge to learn ?

I would personally say Assembly because as you code in it you need to keep track where your data is (which of the 8 or more registers, or where on the stack).

But like Metatron says, the important thing is to pick the right language for the job. You don't code a dynamic webpage in C, and you don't do heavy computational work where every instruction counts in Java.

I would say that as with spoken languages each new programming language is easier to learn than the previous. Since languages aren't completely different from eachother you basically only need to learn the differences and there are less and less for each language you try.

And I agree that assembler might be one of the most difficult things to learn, especially to be good at it since what constitutes being good changes between plattforms. Not that you really should be doing anything except learning how a computer works using it, or writing compilers.

And no one has mentioned Prolog yet? Probably the only language group not yet mentioned. Logic programming FTW. :)

Is there any other type of programming?

Functional programming (which i think is the word you're looking for) was too hard for me. It has some nice properties, like being provably mathematically correct. But I just never managed to get my head around it. Lat a guy in my class do all the work on this one.

Ive heard logic programming is hard. Is it?

Well it does require a slightly different way of thinking but the actual look of it is similar functional programming. Instead of writing instructions that do specific actions you define rules that let the system figure things out. Check out the wikipedia article for some nice examples.

Is there any other type of programming?

There are a lot of different programming paradigms, wikipedia has what seems like a complete list. But not many of them are in use outside of the academic world.

There are a lot of different programming paradigms, wikipedia has what seems like a complete list. But not many of them are in use outside of the academic world.

Yep, but most of the time you'll stay with a general one one or choose your own technique as it is sometimes harder to fit into the schema then "just doing it". Anyway, I remember EuRuKo (european ruby conference.. it was in my town.. yay) where a friend wrote a library for doing aspect-oriented programming in ruby. seriously very cool.. some paradigms are just *so* different than traditional ones. in case of c++, take a look at policies ;-) fun fun fun..

• 3 weeks later...