1. 1.

• Yes
    • No, but I want to learn it
    • No and I won't you damn geeks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I code but its part of what I do for a living so unless an open source project interests me, which is very rare I am unwilling to help. 99% of the code I write is closed source, and that doesn’t bother me one bit.

I’m mainly a C and ASM man but I’m a strong believer of the right tool for the right job and I am happy working in:

Pascal

ASM

LISP

C

C++

C#

Java

Ruby

Perl

PHP

Python

COBOL

HTML

XHTML

CSS

VB

and a few other languages that aren’t used much.

Well, I know pretty much every "famous" language around, but I prefer Ruby and C++ :-) Though sometimes another language just fits better/is more fun. I discovered that it's actually very funny if you take a language like e.g. tcl which is easy to code but has strong limitations regarding the count of possibilities you have to achieve a task - the result is that you will have to shape your code so that it'll work best with that particular language. I just noticed that because in C++ and Ruby there are a f***ing million ways to say "Hello, World!". If you're really into C++ just read Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu. Never seen something like that before.

Primarily Java and C.

Familiarity with Pascal, Perl, PHP, ASP, JSP... (I'm getting a tad bored of listing the usual suspects for the nth time)

Interest in ASM.

Image maniplulation things mainly. Coding is something i don't have a precise use for, but i can see as being useful as an general skill.

Hmm, image manipulation is a interesting topic as far as i know. For linux/insert_unix_or_whatever_derivative_here there are plenty of console-based image manipulation tools around (ImageMagick, etc). Are you talking about writing scripts which use those binaries for e.g. resizing or rather speaking of low level code, maybe blurring algorithms (gaussian blur)?

Thats the thing, i don't know enough about programming to be able to say exactly what it is I want to do. For most things i can use Photoshop to do, but some more complex stuff I see coming out of MIT, i know I need to program to be able to use. So what I need is a genralized grounding in programming to get me started.

Where's the "I've coded before but that was long ago. I know next to nothing now" option?

I've taken a few classes back in HS over Visual basic and I've taught myself some html and xml for a friend's website I created. Now I couldn't create a free-fall or "Hello World!" program for the life of me. If I had the time I would get back into it but going to college takes up a lot of that time.

I thought about starting a little code project with others here on the forum so interested people can read that and learn how to code, but I don't know yet what exactly we could create and which language it should be written in. I would *not* start with a low level language like C or C++, we can deal with stuff like heap/stack/memory allocation/explicit typing/smart pointers later, don't we? I suggest using PHP or even better Ruby for a first HowTo :-) And what could we code? A simple irc bot (that's kinda fun and interesting, too), an image to color-ascii converter script, lots of stuff, please tell me about your ideas in this thread, too. The question is not weither we reinvent the wheel or not in this case, it's maybe about creating our own hak5 coding subculture here.

Where's the "I've coded before but that was long ago. I know next to nothing now" option?

I've taken a few classes back in HS over Visual basic and I've taught myself some html and xml for a friend's website I created. Now I couldn't create a free-fall or "Hello World!" program for the life of me. If I had the time I would get back into it but going to college takes up a lot of that time.

Whee, take that:

puts "You're the man now dog!"

That was ruby. And i dislike writing "Hello, World!" all the time so i choosed YTMND ;-)

Yeah were is it?

I used to know Visual Basic, HTML (does that really count as a language?) and a little CSS. But I can't remember any of it anymore :(

Do you guys know of any languages that will be useful to know? Im saying "will be" because im only 16 and would like to get a head start on any computer related courses I will eventually be taking :D

Do you guys know of any languages that will be useful to know? Im saying "will be" because im only 16 and would like to get a head start on any computer related courses I will eventually be taking :D

c, c++, java, perl, cobol. It all depends on what you're looking to study. I'm going into MIS so I have to eventually know mysql, java, cobol, and a few others.

Thank you for a quick reply. Im going to have to look at what options there are for me after a get my results back.

Your best bet would be to look at the classes required to graduate from the university you want to attend and see what languages they make you learn. Also, I've heard this before; that it's best to start with a lower level language (like c) and then work your way onto others. Apperantly this makes things easier down the road (and probably does).

Good luck, I should probably get back to learning coding languages, I havn't made a program or anything in a long time. Maybe Ruby or python this time around?

Also, I've heard this before; that it's best to start with a lower level language (like c) and then work your way onto others. Apperantly this makes things easier down the road (and probably does).

I think it's better the other way around. Thats what I did anyway. Sure if you can jump right into C and have no problems then everything will indeed be easier down the road, but I think it's better to start with something easy, where it is easy to get results. (python, java, php i think all qualify). This will keep the person interested. If someone jumps right into C, it can get intimidating and the best a beginner can do is output to the console, which isn't very interesting. It is very easy to wrtie a simple GUI in java or python, or some cool scripts in PHP. Learning is much more fun and rewarding if you can produce results (like simple apps with GUI or apps you can use) right away. Once they are able to program with the layer of abstraction those languages offer, and are familiar with programming concepts, it will be easier to go down to C, then ASM. As they move down they will better understand how everything works and how much they've been taking for granted using those other languages hehe. Thats my opinion anyway, everyone learns differently. I started with Java and PHP, then C++/C then ASM (well, MIPS assembly).

I think it's better the other way around.....

I see what you mean and I agree. The way I looked at it was that if someone dove right into the dirty stuff and stuck with it, later down the line adding other languages to their aresenal would be much easier. But, it could work both ways. I should hold my tounge, I'm not a good coder, or even a beginner coder. I was just going by what I've read/been told.