What To Do!

Elmota64

With those specs you could set it up as a webserver and host your own website from it. Or set up your own private DC (domain controller) if you have multiple PCs at home.

Ya Id go with the webserver, domains are dirt cheep, or even just a media server, boxee + hulu and a cheep capture card (dazzle is the one I use) and you've got youself a bad ass "on demand"/dvr... I just got my hands on a 1.6ghz single core laptop with a 50gb drive and I believe 746mb of ram. Im going to attemp to run a small file server or small website off it. Hopefully it doesn't crash to much lol

Creating a web server sounds like a nice idea. I found a tutorial for apache at lifehacker.com, should i go with apache?

Apart from IIS (Micrsoft Webserver), Apache is an open source project and very popular too. I've always used Apache and personally I like it a lot better than IIS. It is easy to set up and you will get it up and going in less than 2 minutes or so.

I would really recommend Apache as a webserver its fast and very stable too. There are great tutorials out there and if you need help with anything else just PM me and I'll be happy to assist you.

If you are going to run a webserver, don't make it windows based. Just for security reasons, go linux and apache or linux and nginx. Personally, I would go Apache, then add PHP with http://www.hardened-php.net/suhosin/ , webmin, and mod_security.

on the media server idea that soka80 added, you could make your own network radio stream (music, shows, etc), or even your sort of web-TV channel that continuously streams web-tv shows like Hak5; i personally like sometimes the idea of the old TV channels where you're spoon fed entertainment rather than going about and searching the web for it;

or, you could loan some processing power to a grid (Folding@home for example), if you're gonna let it running; you have to balance that with how much it's gonna add to your electric bill;

joining the Tor-network is interesting to loan some bandwidth to the anonymity of others; although I got flooded when I tried that; may have been a coincidence;

hosting an IRC server for an IRC hub like QuakeNet or whatever;

you could try to find other solutions for maybe hosting like open-source projects (or maybe finding some open-projects), or adding mirrors for Linux distros, etc; depends what your taste in open-software is;

If i where to go with linux what distro would you recommend?

Just use the Ubuntu distro

http://www.ubuntu.com/business/server/overview

Ya my mediaserver made my electric bill go up $15 a month, just gotta figure out what works best for you

You might want to consider investing into an off grid system. That way you can live running 24/7 without any worries of your electricity bill hiking up.

I would sell my soul to have a server like that. The question is what can you not do with it. I still have an old p2 that serves music, files, and the web. Sourceforge.net has a boatload of web based software. I love linux but ubuntu can be a pain. Canonical likes to change your configuration files without your permission especially at upgrade time. I am too lazy to migrate my main test server running ubuntu. Since then, I have used Debian.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Linux-beginning-home-automation-on-a-server/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Uses-for-your-own-private-cloud/

Edited by inventoman

You might want to consider investing into an off grid system. That way you can live running 24/7 without any worries of your electricity bill hiking up.

thats not a bad idea, right now im building an apache server off of the old laptop i mentioned earlier, didn't realize how much ubuntu changed from 10.(what ever) to 11.04, i need to do an update on my media server, makes a nice look with the bigger buttons on the side for tv viewing

I installed ubuntu server + webmin and now it's everything you guys suggested web server, media server, proxy server, etc. And about my electric bill, electricity comes included in the rent so basically no matter how I use my electricity I always pay the same so I have it running 24/7.

Edited by MR. M

Donate it, write it off on your taxes

Why not try selling in Ebay or some place else, if you write it off on your taxes you won't get much back anyway. Government is always trying to rip money off people.

Or try selling it privately for a few hundred dollars or so.

In case it is not too late for op to change his config: Screw Ubuntu. Ubuntu's really neat for beginners to start with linux on your desktop but as a server I prefer Debian. (To be fair: I once set up my homeserver with Ubuntu and it's still running just fine - alas I would never let this one go online). For a webserver my configuration is always Debian + LAMP if there are enough resources, if I have to be careful with this stuff I use lighttpd.

Hope, I could help you.