Backtrack 5 Atheros 9285

Artisan

Hey guys, I just started and set up Backtrack 5 and everything. So I get on open up konsole and type in "airmon-ng" but when I type it in nothing comes up all it doesn't any network interfaces. I have looked all over the internet for solution but I don't get any at all. It's kind of wierd because I can still connect to the internet but it says that its a wired connection and im on my laptop so it should a wireless connection. It you guys could please help me. I have a Dell Inspiron. I have the Wifi chipset Atheros AR9285. I really need help so if you could please help.

Thanks

Read it up to understand how the commands work.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=simple_wep_crack

Now that I re-read the post. If nothing shows up in iwconfig

try running lsusb and lspci to see if there is a wireless card found in those. It might be a driver issue.

This is all it show

root@bt:~# lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

root@bt:~# lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)

00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]

00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter

00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 40)

00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest Service

00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

00:06.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB

00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)

root@bt:~#

/me facepalm...

You didn't mention it was in a VM before. Virtual Machines, for whatever reason, can only use the built in Ethernet(wired) adapters. They can't see the wireless adapters, unless they are USB based adapters. Vmware suffers from this problem as well, not just Virtualbox. If you want to use the built-in wireless card, you need to boot the actual machine(not the VM) off of the BT5 dvd or do a native install side by side your normal OS to dual boot both BT5 and whatever else you are using, ie: windows + bt5.

Otherwise, get yourself a cheap USB wifi adapter to use with the VM, and make sure you set the Virtual Machine to allow USB devices to be connected upon insert.

Thanks guys why could the people just have said that at first instead of giving me commands to put in. Thanks Alot Guys I finally get the answer. Ummm.... If I put Backtrack 5 on A USB will it roconized wifi connections?

Thanks guys why could the people just have said that at first instead of giving me commands to put in. Thanks Alot Guys I finally get the answer. Ummm.... If I put Backtrack 5 on A USB will it roconized wifi connections?

You did not specify you were using a VM...

Booting of a USB thumbdrive (not a VM, but live disk) will allow you to use the computers hardware, yes. You can load it with unetbootin or the one they just covered in the last or previous episode, I think its called xboot or something like that. Either way, live DVD or USB drive, will let you use the native hardware. If it still doesn't work, then you have an unsupported card, but I think the one you listed is supported.

If you want to dual boot, you would have to partition off your hard drive for whatever main OS you want, and then boot the live cd and use the install wizard for backtrack (ubuntu) installer.

so all this would be done in the live cd right?

You seem to have lack of experience with such things as it seems. Stick to just booting to the live DVD of backtrack when you want to use it... It will save you many headaches.

But I thought that once you boot backtrack on the live DVD you could partition everything by just going to the install, choosing the OS systems Side by Side and then installing it all. reboot and them it will give you the option do you want to choose Win 7 or Backtrack. If that's not right then could you please explain to me how?

Edited by Artisan

That is the right way. Just unsure about your knowledge of such things and if you should really be playing with it. I mean there really isn't much need to do a hard drive install unless it's a dedicated pen-testing machine or such. Most stuff can be done in a VM.

If all you want to do is play with wifi, just use live dvd without installing it. Those tools really dont change at all to need updates.

Don't mess with the native install if you already have a preexisting OS on there without having set aside space just for BT5. Windows will more than likely be installed to the entire drive, and not have been partitioned for more than one OS, so you risk the potential for screwing things up and erasing windows 7 if that is the case.

Personally, I would do a thumb drive with persistent changes, so you can keep files you create/download, or update on the OS itself. This way, you can carry it with you on a key chain and you always have your tools with you.

Live-DVD is nice just to have an untouched OS that will always default back to a clean environment, good for safe web browsing where changes aren't permanent to the OS and is a bit safer(so long as you haven't mounted the HDD and made changes to it).

Virtual Machines are what I use on my desktop with a USB Wifi adapter, but on my laptop I installed windows 7 and bt5 natively, since I dual boot there. On my desktop, I use windows 7 mainly since thats what I use for my business, then bt5 in a VM when I want to play with stuff and learn some more.

Edited by digip

Well as you can tell I am sort of a noob to everything. I wanted to get everything started and learn all this so I was trying to start out my learning to crack WIFI and stuff but I do plan on doing other things. I guess Ill start by just burning to a live cd and as I progress Ill try a Dual Boot.

Also, I do have Windows 7 you can Dual boot from there. Atleast thats what I heard.