Using Txpower To Improve The Signal Level

I found this interesting thread on how to increase the signal strength on the Fon: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=14093&st=0&p=140372&hl=range&fromsearch=1entry140372

So I edited /etc/config/wireless and changed option txpower '0' to option txpower '8'.

The power (as shown by iwconfig) changed from Link Quality=55/70 Signal level=-55 dBm to Link Quality=64/70 Signal level=-46 dBm.

I am wondering if any more improvement is possible? What would happen if txpower was set to (for example '12'?

Also: this is a basic question but I seem to have lost the WRT GUI so I don't know what the acceptable values are for the signal strength settings. Where can I find the HTML file?

Thanks.

I used to use something like this, when I first got the pineapple, it would have TERRIBLE range and so in the jasager file after auto starting jasager in /etc/init.d/jasager I added the line

iwconfig ath0 txpower auto

but I am going to try your way.

Edited by UnDeFiNeD

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use something like this, when I first got the pineapple, it would have TERRIBLE range and so in the jasager file after auto starting jasager in /etc/init.d/jasager I added the line

iwconfig ath0 txpower auto

but I am going to try your way.

Did you notice any difference or improvement?

It's simply that some devices are stronger than others.

There can be many factors during the design of such a device - cost, power consumption etc.

Keep in mind that radio transmission power is regulated by the government so manufacturers can't go crazy with it.