How Does The Os Work When Jasager Pretends To Be An Encrypted Network?

Hello,

I am trying to find out how (in practice) encryption and the Preferred Wireless List work (in all OS's but particularly Windows).

I have tested this on my Ubuntu systems. If I am trying to connect to an encrypted network and Jasager "is" that network then obviously no full connection is made. I then need to cancel that attempted connection and Ubuntu then automatically tries another network which may or may not be encrypted. There does not appear to be any logic to what network it will try to connect to - there is no obvious "order" for example.

I wonder if someone can tell me how this situation works in Windows (XP, 7, and Vista) where Jasager is pretending to be an encrypted network - and then what happens after that connection fails.

Thanks.

Hmm, I think jasager can only mimic the name of the network, not the encryption level. That is what I found through my experimentation, but someone with more experience might know otherwise.

Basically your Windows computer has a list of preferred networks. The only order it goes by is the last network you set to autoconnect is searched for first, then if it cant find that one, it probes for the one before that, then the one before that and so on. It will use that order unless you set up your preferred networks manually.

Edited by UnDeFiNeD

Basically your Windows computer has a list of preferred networks. The only order it goes by is the last network you set to autoconnect is searched for first, then if it cant find that one, it probes for the one before that, then the one before that and so on. It will use that order unless you set up your preferred networks manually.

Thanks. Because in Ubuntu I am not sure there is any list.

Final question: when you say "set to autoconnect" - is this an automatic situation or not? Do you connect to coffeeshopnetwork then say "I am setting this to autoconnect" or does it just happen?

In windows, with secured networks, the check box for auto connect is checked by default and is activated when you press connect. However I don't believe unsecure networks are checked by default (so you would have to manually check it), and might not even have the checkbox available in windows 7 (not sure since I tend to teather to my phone when on the go...)

In windows, with secured networks, the check box for auto connect is checked by default and is activated when you press connect. However I don't believe unsecure networks are checked by default (so you would have to manually check it), and might not even have the checkbox available in windows 7 (not sure since I tend to teather to my phone when on the go...)

I see. So if a Windows client is deauthenticated from a secure network (and therefore cannot in theory reconnect) the only way it will connect and complete the connection to the Jasager is if an insecure network was previously checked to automatically connect.

In windows 7, yes. If the client is looking for a saved secure network, the client will not autoconnect to jassager even though it changes it's ssid to that of the probe request, it is still an insecure network (open), it will not auto connect. However, I believe earlier service packs of XP will auto connect (not positive though)

Edited by UnDeFiNeD

UnDeFiNeD is correct, I think it was pre XP SP2 that would negotiate down to no encryption if none were offered. There are still some custom clients that will but not many.

Should say, they will associate but then fail at authentication so disconnect again.