Need Gnu Partition Management Software

NegativeSpace

What I want to do sort of goes beyond using FDISK, and I already tried partition wizard mini tool (the free version). Partition Wizard does not support creating partitions and some other functions that I need. Can I get some suggestions for a free, full featured partition management software?

What do you want to do that fdisk doesn't let you do? Why do I ask, well without knowing what you want to do we will be just throwing random names of partition software at you like gparted.

What do you want to do that fdisk doesn't let you do? Why do I ask, well without knowing what you want to do we will be just throwing random names of partition software at you like gparted.

I intend to use it for managing different OS partitions. FDISK takes the fun out of it and makes it more of a chore. Random names of partition software (provided they meet the aforementioned criteria) is just what I want. Good and free partition software is what I'm looking for. I figure if it's good and free, then it will do the things that I need it to do by default. I'm going to check out GParted.

Any others?

Partitions where never meant to be:

• expanded
  • reduced
  • other wise re-sized
  • moved

Always keep a backup available when doing any of these things.

Whether or not they were meant to be, it is nice to be able to. Gparted is the best one I have ever used. I have never backed up data before resizing partitions with it(never really had anything important enough to) and have never lost any data in moving or resizing a partition. The program will usually not complete the change if it detects that data will be lost or corrupted.

Edited by abferm

I should have been more specific, I guess. I am looking for software that runs within Window, or software that I can boot from USB. The first time I tried to use GRUB on the machine is question, I ended up with a broken and unrepairable MBR, which ultimately led to format and reinstall of HDD/Windows. I want to use a Windows Partition manager to create partitions on the same machines only HDD for trying out different OS's. Since I still use the machine or everyday stuff, I don't want to have to fix it again after losing part of the primary partition. If I can boot GParted from USB without using a separate bootloader, then GParted will do. Can it do that?