Open Source / Free Tools For Password Recovery - 7z, Rar, Uif

DARKWOLF2054

Does anyone have any suggestions for open source / free password recovery tools for archived file systems?

7z, RAR, ZIP, UIF, Etc?

What I have tried so far is Backtrack 5s FCRACKZIP and from the internet RARCRACK-0.2.

Fcrackzip keeps erroring out on the file saying - "is not a zipfile ver 2.xx, skipping". And Rarcrack only seems to allow brute forcing. I have compiled a dictionary that I would like to use but have encountered the aforementioned problems.

Also, if I remember correctly their use to be demo's for password recovery programs that would tell you how long the recoverable password was and the first 3 or 4 characters. Does anyone remember or know if they still exist - it would make brute forcing more targeted.

Thank you,

DW

I use Crark to recover .RAR, the nice thing about this utility is that it uses the CUDA architecture to speed up the recovery process.

http://www.crark.net/

On the other side of the scale we have ElcomSoft, cracks almost anything but its not free.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 9 years later...