Router On A Stick

Deags

So I decided to start saving some power. SheevaPlug plugged into a HP ProCurve Switch 1700-8.

img1625p.jpg

Runs Arch Linux is connected to 2 wan's, 2 lans, 1 vpn and 1 ipv6 tunnel.

routing and firewall is all manual aside from a failover script i've written in PHP.

Runs LDAP, FTP, HTTP, SMB, RADIUS, NS, SMTP/MAIL, PXE, DHCP and DHCPv6 services to serv both the local network and internet.

Pros: Quite, smaller, less power consumption more processing power and ram than the p3.

Cons: Don't know how long the SD card will last.

I see hak5 is still going. Forums have more ads... show must not be as lucrative as it once was.

Not a bad set up and from a electricity point of view very economic in deed. In the future, I plan on running my IT equipment of an off-grid solar system. So I should cut down the electrical cost by a bit. I haven't done the math yet, but that should be cost reduction.

Edited by Infiltrator

Can you give us a network diagram of the setup so we can see how its all laid out, topology, etc. Just want to see how you got the two WAN's coming into this whole mix and how that works.

Cons: Don't know how long the SD card will last.

In my experience SD Cards are pretty resilient. If they are going to die they tend to die early on in their life, so if it has been running fine for a few months it should be fine (make sure you have full backups though).

Can you give us a network diagram of the setup so we can see how its all laid out, topology, etc. Just want to see how you got the two WAN's coming into this whole mix and how that works.

Not good with network diagrams.

Works like this. Feeds into it via vlans as you probably worked out. I then load balance the wans unevenly with one taking all the load and the other taking none (I need to do this as you can only have one default route). I then manually route some hosts over the one that takes none using route tables/iptables marking packets...

I can swap the balance the other way if I wish I have variables in my script I can set. If one fails the other just because the default route and all traffic goes over it despite the manual routes that have been put in place?

The wireless and lan are one two different networks which have routes to each other. Their internet traffic is not distinguished by any firewall rules at this time.

Does that explain it?

• 2 weeks later...