Virtual Desktop

jae99

I just watched the second episode of hak tip on virtual desktops. I was just wondering if you can have two desktops side by side on the same screen at the same time. Like cutting the screen in half and have two desktops running? Is this possible in windows 7, and if so, how? Thanks in advance.

Virtualbox does have an option for multiple displays. When you set it for 2 monitors (it will go up to 8) another screen comes up. You can do it with some tinkering but like Mr-Protocol said "it defeats the whole point of virtual desktops"

Was there some specific reason for it?

Edited by elegin

Wow, got that wrong.

Yeah, not sure I see the use of that. The only thing I could think would be to have a second workspace on a second monitor if your video card could not handle the screen resolution, which would infer that the card could not handle two monitors.

I am curious about the nature of the need.

Depending on distro, this can be done, found a few solutions. Google and ye shall find.

who would have thought. not me.

I just watched the second episode of hak tip on virtual desktops. I was just wondering if you can have two desktops side by side on the same screen at the same time. Like cutting the screen in half and have two desktops running? Is this possible in windows 7, and if so, how? Thanks in advance.

Check out Dexpot, it may be what you are after.

You can have what is called a dual screen set up. The first screen displays your desktop icons and the second is an extension to it.

Follow this article, it should be straight forward.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976064