the power of linux vs. windows

debianuser

Ok, not sure i gave the right title to this thread (modo is welcome to correct it)

Have you ever experienced that once you did use a hardware or a program on your computer with windows and that one day you tried it under linux, and it was not only better but like 10.00000 times better?!

ok, I have been a linux user for a time now, preferably a Debian-user; since yesterday I was finally able to make my wireless chypset work and guess what, in a room apart from the living room, where I usually get 1% connectivity with windows (using the same computer, logging on my home wireless network), I get now 91% connectivity with linux. Monster difference - huh?

me who tought my wireless card sucked! piou!! windows sucked and still sucks :-p

anyone? any other experiences? share...

thx

:arrow:

I really don't know where people get this janked hardware that doesn't work with windows, is there a special shop or something?

I like windows, linux and bsd, for different reasons and tasks, never had a hardware issue in windows. But linux + wifi = shit time, unless you have one of the few cards thats linux compatible. Ndiswrapper sucks.

Out of interest, how come when people have a problem with hardware in windows, is microsofts fault. But when its a problem in linux its because of the hardware makers lack of linux support? Ever consider that some companys just make shite drivers? Thats why MS have the WHQL driver scheme, which does work imo.

In the cold and gloomy ISDN days, you got a free Telindus ISDN adapter for the PC when you switched over.

Installation under Windows was a hit & miss. You had to install drivers and components in a *VERY* specific order, otherwise it was sure to end up not working. And even if you did do everything right, it was always very dubious if it would last until the next reboot.

Then you try to install the thing under Linux. You figure there's a TON of configuration involved. So you select the driver for inclusion into your kernel, and right from the get-go it tells you in the logs whenever there was an incoming phone call. Configuration was a breeze. Just 1 or 2 easy textfiles to assemble, and sensible documentation for what they should contain.

That was when I realised that OSS could actually be better than commercial crap.

The more and more I got into Computers, the more I noticed how windows sucks. I always fould that every thing just works under linux, nothing breaks unless I break it (I had many "whoops" moments under linux, but I was smart to make [config_file].conf.backup). I always hated using windows built in networking, it never worked the way that I wanted it. I should beable to just enter in the IP of the computer that is hosting the printer.

</rant>

85% of my life is under linux, and soon, the 15% under windows should be soon replaced by linux or OSX (I'm looking into geting a MacMini, or just emulate it)

The more and more I got into Computers, the more I noticed how windows sucks. I always fould that every thing just works under linux, nothing breaks unless I break it (I had many "whoops" moments under linux, but I was smart to make [config_file].conf.backup). I always hated using windows built in networking, it never worked the way that I wanted it. I should beable to just enter in the IP of the computer that is hosting the printer.

</rant>

85% of my life is under linux, and soon, the 15% under windows should be soon replaced by linux or OSX (I'm looking into geting a MacMini, or just emulate it)

and I say.. AMEN...

debianuser, how do you take care of your gaming fix under linux? How do you resist not playing HL2, CS:S, Fear, etc...? I play doom and Quake under linux, but there are some games that are not suported natively, but some games such as the ones listed(mostly HL2 and all mods) are a b!+ch to run under linux with some speed.

debianuser, how do you take care of your gaming fix under linux? How do you resist not playing HL2, CS:S, Fear, etc...? I play doom and Quake under linux, but there are some games that are not suported natively, but some games such as the ones listed(mostly HL2 and all mods) are a b!+ch to run under linux with some speed.

I don't play games :lol: ... I stopped when i was 17.. that was 5 years ago :)

social life guys!!!! social life!!!! 8)

I don't play games :lol: ... I stopped when i was 17.. that was 5 years ago :)

social life guys!!!! social life!!!! 8)

Social Life!? Thats way too complex for me, I'll go back to reading my book on 3d programing theory.

In the cold and gloomy ISDN days, you got a free Telindus ISDN adapter for the PC when you switched over.

Installation under Windows was a hit & miss. You had to install drivers and components in a *VERY* specific order, otherwise it was sure to end up not working. And even if you did do everything right, it was always very dubious if it would last until the next reboot.

Then you try to install the thing under Linux. You figure there's a TON of configuration involved. So you select the driver for inclusion into your kernel, and right from the get-go it tells you in the logs whenever there was an incoming phone call. Configuration was a breeze. Just 1 or 2 easy textfiles to assemble, and sensible documentation for what they should contain.

That was when I realised that OSS could actually be better than commercial crap.

Could that just be that the windows drivers were shit, and the OSS guys saw this and thought "i can do better than that"? And was MS really reponsible for Telindus's fuckups?

Out of interest what do people think of Vista's signed driver policy? Think it'll make driver coders work harder to produce drivers that will pass? And what about enforcing WHQL driver standards on all drivers, and making anything else be listed as "non-WHQL Drivers"

Could that just be that the windows drivers were shit, and the OSS guys saw this and thought "i can do better than that"? And was MS really reponsible for Telindus's fuckups?

Of course Microsoft isn't responsible. Same as with the opening post. Can't blame MS for shitty wireless drivers (even if they chose to include them). I think the gist of this thread is more the Windows vs Linux experience rather than a Winows vs Linux comparison of core OS qualities.

True, but these things always seem to slide into MS bashing, on sites like Digg anyway.

Personally I've always found modern linux and windows XP to be roughly the same expirence. You need to tweak a bunch of shit on both to make it usable. Lots of clicking on windows, editing conf files on linux. BSD is a little more complex, but hey, comes with the territory. Vista expirence wise, is much better than XP & Linux in some respects, and worse in others. But its not finished yet so its much harder to judge.

My PC, and Laptop hardware work under both Windows and Linux, win? Plus both my laptops wireless chipset works in Linux perfectly for me.

Didn't you sell your old laptop on ebay and buy a new one because you couldn't get the hardware to work in Linux? :)