Pci Processor?

abferm

Would it be possible to make a PCI card that has several CPUs/GPUs on it to make a super computer? It couldn't be that hard to make one with GPUs seeing as there is already CUDA out there, but would it be possible to put say two AM2+ sockets on a board and use some of them since they have recently been replaced by the AM3 and should be dropping in price(acrually it might be cheaper and better quality if we use AM3s, there is no way that I know of to use Intel processors and keep it cool, not to mention the cost)?

If it is possible, would any one be interested in working on the project?

Edited by abferm

They dont run as fast as a GPU on a graphics card.

But check out pico cards.

It was the type of stuff used before GPU got big.

http://www.picocomputing.com/e_series.html

Could something like those be made with GPUs? I was hoping for something more like a second CPU slot to turn the average motherboard into a multi-processor board via a standard PCI slot or a CUDA card that is designed just for CUDA use making it cheaper by eliminating unnecessary components used on a graphics card. Would a card like that need its own RAM?

Edited by abferm

See the problem with this is its not going to be a feasible projct to turn a PCI card into another CPU. The motherboard and CMOS are designed in such a way, that unless there are slots on the mobo for additional CPU's, I don't think it could work. You can recompile programs to use the GPU specifically for certain tasks, instead of using the CPU, but unless you want to redesign the basic computer architecture to be modular with PCI slots for CPU's, I don't see it happening with a PC.

Now, if you want to create something like that of an arduino type of device, or PC on a stick, its already being done for small computing power, where there is video on the card as well as USB and processing power, but you would also need to write your own OS or modify an existing one to use the hardware such as the Raspberry:

If you want parallel processing power, I would go with what Mr-Protocol suggested. Buy some Nvidia graphics card and utilize their CUDA architecture. They can offer a lot more raw power than CPUs alone.