Is This A Good Deal?

7h3kk1d

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-PowerConnect-5324-1u-managed-Switch-24-pt-gigabit-/370516688409?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item564483fe19#ht_2191wt_829

I'm looking for a managed switch for my house and i keep getting outbit on powerconnect 2724s.

That's called Ebay Auctioning my friend, there are other users also wanting to buy the same product as you. The best way to confront that, is wait for the last minute and then place your bid.

Or look for another managed switch that is not being auctioned.

That's called Ebay Auctioning my friend, there are other users also wanting to buy the same product as you. The best way to confront that, is wait for the last minute and then place your bid.

Or look for another managed switch that is not being auctioned.

That's why I'm asking about the one above since it's buy it now.

For that price, it looks reasonably good to me. It has lots of features, such as Vlan capability for segmenting your network and improving security. It has support for spanning tree protocol, which allows you to link it up to a second managed switch or more to aggregate your network bandwidth and making it redundant and reliable. But for a normal home network, you won't be using all these features, unless you have a very big network. It also support radius authentication, which allows you to control which devices will have physical access to the network. The switch is fully managed and all its ports are full Gigabit enabled, it also includes x2 SPF ports if you plan on using fiber which would be a bit of an overkill for a home network.

Furthermore I can't seem to find anything wrong with it, to me is seems a good deal. But Make sure you test it out first before keeping it.

Okay thanks. The main reason I was looking at it was because of the gigabit ports and vLANS for security.

I have a Netgear Smart Switch at home, with all the capabilities of the Dell managed switch, even though it has Vlan I don't use. But if you run servers at home, it would be a nice feature to turn on, you can segment you main network, into individual Vlans or subnets. The first Vlan could be used for the production hosts and the second Vlan for your servers.

So each Vlan or subnet will have its own broadcasting domain, whatever happens on one domain doesn't affect the other.

Edited by Infiltrator