cheap rack enclosure?

Darren Kitchen

Build your own!

I seen some people on the tubes that done this.

I would strongly recommend you don’t, as you will be mounting lot’s of expensive and heavy equipment that needs to be kept secure and with good air flow. It’s not that you can’t build one, it's that it is not a good idea to.

Build your own!

I would strongly recommend you don’t, as you will be mounting lot’s of expensive, heavy equipment that need to be kept secure and with good air flow. It’s not that you can’t build one, it's that it is not a good idea to.

If you build and disign it correctly, why not. Just dont have it held together by duct tape.

Build your own!

I would strongly recommend you don’t, as you will be mounting lot’s of expensive, heavy equipment that need to be kept secure and with good air flow. It’s not that you can’t build one, it's that it is not a good idea to.

If you build and disign it correctly, why not. Just dont have it held together by duct tape.

Because server cabinets have been tried and tested, so when you buy a 47U (or whatever size) cabinet, they guarantee you that it can handle the weight and stresses that are involved.

The thing is, at the end of the day if I load £100,000 worth of equipment into a cabinet I want to not be thinking to myself, did I use a thick enough gage of steel, are the bolts of a high enough standard, are the internal mountings strong enough. Now if you could make two cabinets and test one to destruction for less then the cost and effort of buying one then it might be a good idea.

Even if you’re just going to be using a few thousand pounds of equipment you want something that is guaranteed to take the weight and stresses that are involved.

For anyone in the UK I would recommend Comtec and for anyone in the US, Knurr have some good deals.

this is freaky. I was going to start a thread like this. Ive got to research a rack. Nice one oh voice of god.

Comtec are a great company with low prices, which is why there the leading supplier for the UK communications industry. I haven’t found a company that can match their prices on server cabinets or on most things so I couldn’t recommend them enough.

Is it normal to find racks (the computer term) to be purdy!

I love the look of my racks, that’s why I had a glass wall put in my server room.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these open racks.

It's the cheapest kind, and their openness tends to make ventilation easier. How they decided to make the largest type the cheapest is beyond me though.

You lose the physical security, but that doesn't matter all that much to me since I live alone anyways. The front door is sufficient security for me.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these open racks.

It's the cheapest kind, and their openness tends to make ventilation easier. How they decided to make the largest type the cheapest is beyond me though.

You lose the physical security, but that doesn't matter all that much to me since I live alone anyways. The front door is sufficient security for me.

I don’t use open racks as they tend to look a little messy, but that’s a good price from Black Box considering they are usually one of the more expensive companies.