Router Setup Question

Hey all,

I was wondering how do I setup a second router.. like say there is the main cable modem in another room that links to all the rooms, then in my room I have another router so that way I can be on the computer and Xbox live at the same time.. I know to access the login for the main modem the IP is 192.168.1.1.. but how about how to access the second router that would be in my room so I have a switch so I can use my Xbox and be on the computer at the same time? What kind of settings should I use? NAT? Any info is appreiciated, thanks.

btw:: this would be all wired connections, no wireless.

There should be a "smart switch" mode on the router, What brand of router it is? Linksys?

I'm pretty sure if a linksys, and you disable DHCP on the second one. Plug the line from the "main" router into port 1-4 and everything else into 1-4 then it should work as a switch.

Dont use the WAN port.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

Thanks Mr. Protocol, How do I find out what the IP is for the second router to change the settings on it? I have a old Belkin router and a newer one which I beleive is a Linksys (I think), think I will use the Belkin till it burns out since it is only going to be used as a switch/hub/whatever..

Just hit the reset button on the "Second" router to reset factory defaults, then look up the manual on it. You cannot plug it in to your current setup because it will probably have an IP conflict. Connect your PC/Laptop directly to it, disabled DHCP, then plug in all connections to the ports (not the wan port/uplink port) and it should work fine.

Thanks Mr. Protocol, How do I find out what the IP is for the second router to change the settings on it? I have a old Belkin router and a newer one which I beleive is a Linksys (I think), think I will use the Belkin till it burns out since it is only going to be used as a switch/hub/whatever..

The default ip address for your Belkin router should be 192.168.2.1

If it doesn't work, hit me with its model and I can find it out for you.

I am currently in process of upgrading my network from an unmanaged to a smart POE gigabit switch, with SFP support.