Very slow download speed, but only through one program

BraytonAK

My boyfriend and I have a 1Mb DSL connection currently. We seem to only have one problem, and I've gone over everything with a fine-tooth comb to find the cause. My boyfriend plays online games, such as WoW and CoH. Whenever those games need to download updates (especially CoH), the connection can hold a steady 1KB to 4KBps. Once the game starts, the connection is fine. WTF?

Tried with the Router firewall both off and on, with no change.

Tried with the computer firewall off and on, no change.

Assigned a static IP to the computer, then forwarded all TCP ports for the game to the computer IP.

Switched from Windows Firewall to ZoneAlarm so I could more easily assign 'ranges' of TCP *and* UDP ports.

The only thing I haven't done is directly connect the DSL modem to the computer, which I'm not going to do because that defeats the purpose of using the router to provide the whole LAN with Net access.

All other programs can download at up to 100KBps. (Yes, we have some amazing broadband speeds here!) Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look? This has been gonig on for a year and a half.

I think this is simpley a case that the download speed you get is limited by the server you are downloading from, as such there is nothing you can do to change this.

That's just scary. It took 72 hours to download one update, which was required before being able to enter the game. The patches seem to go for weeks before being required, so their servers shouldn't be flooded. And trying to use their support forum is useless. It's more of a closed forum for searching.

The logical answer has always been bandwidth throttling by the server, but damn....1KBps? I could probably speak the code over the phone faster. ;)

I guess I'll have to continue hearing the whining when the downloads are horific.