Bridging By Editing Dhcp And Network Files On The Fon.

Hello,

I am a little confused about editing the files on the Fon in order to bridge between the client who connects to the Fon, which is connected to my laptop by ethernet, and I am then connected to the internet by wireless.

AIUI I need to edit the config dhcp lan part of /etc/config/dhcp.

list 'dhcp_option' '3, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # the xxx's are the IP of [what exactly? - the IP the network I am using for internet access provides me or something else?]

list 'dhcp_option' '6, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # the xxx's are the DNS provided by the network I am using for internet access.

For /etc/config/network.

option ipaddr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # IP of the Pineapple which needs to be on the same subnet as the IP of the network that I am using for internet access

option netmask 255.255.255.0

I am sure that some of this is incorrect. Any advice would be most helpful, thanks.

I understand the theory.

My question was how exactly do I edit the /etc/config/dhcp and /etc/config/network files to make the theory real?

All I need to know is what the xxx's below should refer to.

For /etc/config/dhcp:

list 'dhcp_option' '3, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # what IP address should this be?

list 'dhcp_option' '6, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # please confirm the xxx's are the DNS provided by the network I am using for internet access.

For /etc/config/network:

option ipaddr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # please confirm this should be the IP of the Pineapple which needs to be on the same subnet as the IP of the network that I am using for internet access

Thanks!

OK, I don't think I explained myself very well before.

This is my understanding of how the Fon works.

A random person (Andrew) connects to the Fon. The Fon is connected to my laptop via ethernet cable. I am connected to another wireless network called CoffeeNet Andrew wants to access www.google.com. He is able to do this because his commands are transmitted to the Fon, on to me, and then on to CoffeeNet.

To do this I need to bridge. I am using Ubuntu.

This is what I think I need to do (I will test tomorrow but want to understand the procedure now).

Could someone please tell me if this is correct.

In /etc/config/network

option ipaddr 192.168.1.4 # this should be the IP of the Fon. It needs to be on the same subnet as the IP provided to me by CoffeeNet.

option netmask 255.255.255.0

In /etc/config/dhcp under config dhcp lan

list 'dhcp_option' '3,192.168.1.10' # The should be the IP of the default gateway of CoffeeNet.

list 'dhcp_option' '6,213.122.121.98' # This should be CofeeNet's DNS (although I could also use a free DNS like 8.8.8.8 for Google).

In /etc/config/wireless

option ssid MyNetworkName # sets the SSID.

Could you please confirm the network and dhcp settings above will allow me to enact what I described should happen to Andrew. Thanks!

Edited by billyblaxsta