E-mail Alerts On New Mac Address Connected To My Wifi Ap

nerdelicious

Hello World!

I've been playing around with this idea for a while, but would appreciate some tips and pointers. This community seems like a good place to start.

I'd like to receive e-mail alerts to my gmail address when a new device connects to my home AP. It's a Linksys WRT54G packing the Tomato v1.28 firmware. I also have a home server using Ubuntu 11.04.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

- sending syslog from the AP to Ubuntu, parsing it there (optionally, maybe even complicate it further using Nagios or the like)

- checking whether DHCPACK is for a known MAC address (this should be checked against a txt file or something) to eliminate alerts every time I connect to WiFi with my smartphone/laptop

- (optional) add the new MAC to the txt file to avoid alerts for it in the future

- sending an e-mail to my gmail account (set up a SMTP server on the box? set up a new mail account somewhere just for this purpose?)

I haven't started yet, and now would be a good time to point me in the right direction if you have any tips/pointers. For all I know Tomato/DD-WRT might be able to everything by themselves, so feel free to save me some time and share your thoughts.

Oh, and yes, my WiFi is encrypted with WPA2/AES so I don't really expect any surprises in the alerts, but after watching a few episodes of Hak5, I'm really not sure of anything anymore.

Thanks for any feedback,

nerdelicious

• 3 months later...

Hello World!

I've been playing around with this idea for a while, but would appreciate some tips and pointers. This community seems like a good place to start.

I'd like to receive e-mail alerts to my gmail address when a new device connects to my home AP. It's a Linksys WRT54G packing the Tomato v1.28 firmware. I also have a home server using Ubuntu 11.04.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

- sending syslog from the AP to Ubuntu, parsing it there (optionally, maybe even complicate it further using Nagios or the like)

- checking whether DHCPACK is for a known MAC address (this should be checked against a txt file or something) to eliminate alerts every time I connect to WiFi with my smartphone/laptop

- (optional) add the new MAC to the txt file to avoid alerts for it in the future

- sending an e-mail to my gmail account (set up a SMTP server on the box? set up a new mail account somewhere just for this purpose?)

I haven't started yet, and now would be a good time to point me in the right direction if you have any tips/pointers. For all I know Tomato/DD-WRT might be able to everything by themselves, so feel free to save me some time and share your thoughts.

Oh, and yes, my WiFi is encrypted with WPA2/AES so I don't really expect any surprises in the alerts, but after watching a few episodes of Hak5, I'm really not sure of anything anymore.

Thanks for any feedback,

nerdelicious

Setup Arpwatch on your ubuntu box