Anyone Got Bt5 To Boot Yet?

byteTemplar

Not that version, though I do have it running on my XOOM tablet! I don't think an image of the shell on windows cmd line will be exciting but here's a screenshot for the virtual cookie(the last two lines is where I booted in from the bootbt.sh file). I'm still gettin things set up on the tablet so Im gonna play for a bit and then get working with the 32 bit gnome.

post-35557-0-31155000-1305073911_thumb.p

Oh my! This might be the final push for me to get a Tablet :)

Reason why I wanna run 32b version from Multiboot, is that not all computers have 64b CPUs, and I wanna be possible to run everything on anything :)

Finally got BT5 installed on my trusty eeePC 901, time to start tweaking and testing...

Well, it seems BT5 still needs its iso to be extracted like BT4. Here is my GRUB2 menuentry for the BT5 Gnome 32bit:

menuentry "BT5 GNOME 32bit" {

linux /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper nopersistent rw gfxpayload=800x600 --

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

}

Just extract the /casper to the root of your USB stick from ISO and thats it!

Edited by byteTemplar

• 1 month later...

Topic says pretty much it all!

Ive been trying to get BT5-GNOME-32.iso to boot from my Multipass USB key with no luck, so thought to ask some help :)

I will give virtual cookie to the first person to post correct GRUB2 (or GRUB4DOS) entry...

Tutorial on http://www.infosecramblings.com/backtrack/backtrack-4-usbpersistent-changesnessus/ for Persistent USB says "This how-to will be updated with specifics for Backtrack 5. As it sits, it does not work with Backtrack 5. If you have a 16GB stick, please try this one."

Don't know if this helps or not.

You could install it as a USB live install: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/tutorials/usb-live-install/

(that's how I have my bt5 installed)

Edited by CanadianTaco

• 1 month later...

I'm suprised nobody posted this, after figuring it out I realize it's quite simple -

Copy .disk, casper and preseed directories to your multipass

add this to your menu.lst

title BackTrack Text - Default Boot Text Mode

kernel  /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper  text splash vga=791--
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

works great for me

I'm suprised nobody posted this, after figuring it out I realize it's quite simple -

Copy .disk, casper and preseed directories to your multipass

add this to your menu.lst

title BackTrack Text - Default Boot Text Mode

kernel  /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper  text splash vga=791--
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

works great for me

Umm, check post number #4 ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope this helps as well. I dont like my / being cluttered so i generally boot from /boot/<distro> . "live-media-path=" is the key :)

examples:

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
kernel                (hd0,0)/boot/bt5/casper/vmlinuz live-media-path=/boot/bt5/casper file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper txt splash vga=0x317
initrd                (hd0,0)/boot/bt5/casper/initrd.gz

title                Start BackTrack in Stealth Mode\nStealth mod No Networking Enabled..
kernel                (hd0,0)/boot/bt5/casper/vmlinuz live-media-path=/boot/bt5/casper file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper txt splash staticip vga=0x317 
initrd                (hd0,0)/boot/bt5/casper/initrds.gz

title                Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
kernel                (hd0,0)/boot/bt5/casper/vmlinuz live-media-path=/boot/bt5/casper file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper splash xforcevesa vga=0x317

title                Start BackTrack noDRM\nNo DRM Drivers
kernel                (hd0,0)/boot/bt5/casper/vmlinuz live-media-path=/boot/bt5/casper file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper txt splash nomodeset vga=0x317

title                Start BackTrack Debug\nSafeMode
kernel                (hd0,0)/boot/bt5/casper/vmlinuz live-media-path=/boot/bt5/casper file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper txt splash vga=0x317

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...