I Need To Make A Battery For Speedtouch Router

spaik

Hello

I live in Cairo, Egypt and sometimes the power goes off from 1 minute to 1 hour especially in Summer time. I thought of making a battery case or mod for my Speedtouch 585. the Adapter says that the output is 18v - 1A . so is it possible? and if so how much time will it work off battery?

thanks in advance :)

The first thing you need to do is get the voltage right, 18V is a bit odd, but not a problem, get a 12V battery and a 6V battery and connect them in series = 18V.

As for how long it will last it depends upon how big the batteries you get are. Battery capacity is measured in amp hours. A battery rated at 1 amp hour can provide an amp of power for an hour, a 2 amp hour battery can provide an amp for 2 hours or 2 amps for 1 hour etc.

When picking the 12V and 6v battery make sure they have the same capacity other wise the voltage will start to go wonky as the lower capacity battery drains before the other.

Another thing to be in mind is that the type of battery you use can introduce problems. For example, lead acid batteries (the type used in cars) have an approximate voltage that goes up and down depending on their level of charge. Lithium ion batteries have a much more constant voltage that drop suddenly when they lose charge.

In either case, giving the router a voltage it does not expect may result in a dead router, if you intend to experiment make sure to have a spare router available.

Alternatively, get a car battery, get a inverter intended for a car, and you should be sorted. All good inverters turn off when they know they cannot provide the correct power (be sure to test this with a light or some thing that can't brake as a result of wrong voltage first, you'll know it's working because the light will turn off suddenly rather than slowly get dimmer).

The first thing you need to do is get the voltage right, 18V is a bit odd, but not a problem, get a 12V battery and a 6V battery and connect them in series = 18V.

As for how long it will last it depends upon how big the batteries you get are. Battery capacity is measured in amp hours. A battery rated at 1 amp hour can provide an amp of power for an hour, a 2 amp hour battery can provide an amp for 2 hours or 2 amps for 1 hour etc.

When picking the 12V and 6v battery make sure they have the same capacity other wise the voltage will start to go wonky as the lower capacity battery drains before the other.

Another thing to be in mind is that the type of battery you use can introduce problems. For example, lead acid batteries (the type used in cars) have an approximate voltage that goes up and down depending on their level of charge. Lithium ion batteries have a much more constant voltage that drop suddenly when they lose charge.

In either case, giving the router a voltage it does not expect may result in a dead router, if you intend to experiment make sure to have a spare router available.

Alternatively, get a car battery, get a inverter intended for a car, and you should be sorted. All good inverters turn off when they know they cannot provide the correct power (be sure to test this with a light or some thing that can't brake as a result of wrong voltage first, you'll know it's working because the light will turn off suddenly rather than slowly get dimmer).

Thanks a lot :) that should get me started to work on it and test it. Thanks again for your time and effort :)

This is just a suggestion, but its up to you to you to implement or not. In order to provide a constant and reliable source of energy for the router, and not to mess around with different battery voltages.

I would get x2 SLA 12 volts batteries, each can hold between 7.4 to 20 amps an hour, depending on the battery brand and would approximately weight 3 to 4 kilograms each, easy and convenient to lift and move around and offers plenty of power.

Then I would connect both in series to achieve a voltage of 24v but since the router only supports 18v, I'd use a 24v to 18v converter for more information check out this website, http://www.powerstream.com/dcdc.htm.

This set up should work without any glitches.

Edited by Infiltrator

This is just a suggestion, but its up to you to you to implement or not. In order to provide a constant and reliable source of energy for the router, and not to mess around with different battery voltages.

I would get x2 SLA 12 volts batteries, each can hold between 7.4 to 20 amps an hour, depending on the battery brand and would approximately weight 3 to 4 kilograms each, easy and convenient to lift and move around and offers plenty of power.

Then I would connect both in series to achieve a voltage of 24v but since the router only supports 18v, I'd use a 24v to 18v converter for more information check out this website, http://www.powerstream.com/dcdc.htm.

This set up should work without any glitches.

this is also an excellent idea.. i should search for this kind of batteries and will test them. Thanks a lot for helping i knew i would find all the help i need from HAK.5 forums :)

this is also an excellent idea.. i should search for this kind of batteries and will test them. Thanks a lot for helping i knew i would find all the help i need from HAK.5 forums :)

In the near future, this is what I plan to do in my house deploy an off-grid solar battery system for running all my IT appliances. It will save me quite some bucks on electricity bills.

Well 18V is a bit too high i think, i have not seem any adapeter that works on such high voltage

, you know there is a better power-plan get a ups that just have a transformer working like APC's, get a car battery ( well i'm not really sure what the speck are but it seem that there are batteries that have the dimensions and specs of the car batteries, but give a stable voltage) this is to give a longer "runtime". cut your UPS output cable to cater for your adapter, and well you have a 12V..

not 18 :(

i have always thought about trying to use solar energy before because there is nothing here in Egypt more available than SUN :D but i never find what i need here because no one is really interested in solar energy so no cells or anything to start planning :(