Netflix On Linux?

BlueWyvern

Hey Guys, I have been searching for about 3-4 days on this. and I can't seem to find any way to watch my netflix streaming on linux. I have found/tried Moonlight and changed my useragent in firefox but that doesn't work. I get one of three errors (Saying that I need to install Silverlight, That I need to enable ActiveX, or that my OS is not supported).

Everything I have seen on the net says to use virtualbox with Windows XP, but in my opinion that defeats the purpose of using linux in the first place.

anyone else have any experience with trying to get this up and running?

p.s. I have been fooling around with wine and still no luck.

Boxee possibly or switch to windows. I believe it requires Silverlight in the browser to also be able to use Active-X for the DRM side of things, or a licensed app that manages the DRM on other devices, like Boxee does, although I never tried boxee.

My Samsung Bluray player does netflix which is what we use most of the time, but when on the PC, you have to use Internet Explorer with Silverlight because of the DRM involved and Active-X. Its possible to get Silverlight to work in other browsers, but I don't think they will do the DRM that Internet Explorer does as aprt of the authentication with Netflix.

I had some hope when I saw the whole Boxee<>Netflix connection and remembered that I had a boxee account oh so long ago.

Sadly even the Netflix app for boxee requires silverlight.

/sigh I was trying to avoid buying a windows license for my soon to be media center box.

http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watch_Netflix_(Watch_Instantly)_in_Linux

Basically either dual boot windows, or have a high end enough machine with a VM that can to the full on graphics, which I'm not sure VirtualBox can handle vs latest VMware with advanced graphics support.

Edited by digip

• 1 year later...

http://how-to.wikia....Watch_Instantly)_in_Linux

Basically either dual boot windows, or have a high end enough machine with a VM that can to the full on graphics, which I'm not sure VirtualBox can handle vs latest VMware with advanced graphics support.

Digip, it says the post was taken down... did ya get the information from the site?

http://bit.ly/cHpjXN - Post is there, I never had a need to try it in a VM, but I know my machine can do it in VMware since the version of Workstation I have does full Aero and effects and can actually play some games in the VM's. I think if your linux box has beefy enough specs, try creating a Windows 7 VM and give it a go. Virtual Box has come a long way since we posted this thread, so they may now support GPU acceleration like VMware does, although, I only use VMware in Windows to run Linux and other Windows VM's, I don't have a native install of Linux running the latest Vmware Workstation with so not sure how it will handle it.

On a side note, I recall some android phones and tablets being Netflix capable, but most of them are ARM based CPU's, so not sure if their is open source code you would recompile on an x86 machine to get the same capabilities natively in Linux, but worth a shot looking into trying to port from an Android tablet to the PC Linux side if you can get a hold of the source code.