n00bs...

VaKo

I'm sure many of you will disagree with me, but I think we may have a slight issue with n00b bashing here. Yes, a lot of people are very new to hacking, computers, coding what ever. But does every silly question needs 20 replys effectivly calling them an asshole? If hak5 wants to build on its community, we need to start leaving our ego's at the door. We have to remeber that most of us using this forum are by no means "normal people", we are in a very small bracket of people when it comes to computers. And if we want people to learn, and get involved with the scene, shouldn't we be a little more understanding when people come here asking "what is linux?" "how do i hack?"" and so forth. Yes, these are easy questions, but only to us, to someone who has never used anything other than windows before, these are complex issues.

And no, i'm not picking on anyone in particular, and yes, i'm guilty of this myself.

Finally someone posts about this. It is annoying when I click a thread to read it because it sounds interesting, and the first 3 pages are all n00b bashing because someone asked a question that is obvious to someone else. Everyone needs to remember that they were once a n00b as well. No one is born 1337. In fact, I doubt there is anyone on this forum that can be considered 1337.

Personally I think (coming from the noob enlistee stand point here) that the ones that really want to learn something need to look it up. I know I'm guilty of not looking things up sometimes but thats because its a general question. Like my last topic under hacks. It was a general question not looking for answers as to what to do or how to do it but how many there are. Somethings google just can't answer. I'm in no way really a noob when it comes to computers but as far as joinning this forum I am and I accept that title. Its just like calling a beginner surfer a kook or kuk. It really doesn't mean beginner or anything, its basically calling someone an asshole. They only get that title when they are out in the line up surfing around more advanced surfers than they are and can or could cause injury to themself or someone else... So you'll hear "Get outta my way KOOK/KUK" quite a bit out there. Anyhow enough rambling from me.

Since you said I was arrogent I'v prety much been cutting any human emotions out of posts that answer simple questions. There by making it not noob bashing, except for that post where the guy asked us (as in forum members) to get the admin password for the school he gose to. Not sure if that was n00b sashing or just a plain insult though ;)

LoL! Sparda yeah I think we all kinda bashed/slashed him for that one. But ya know that one really wasn't (to me) a simple question. More or less a dumb question that could have been answered quite well if he read the sticky's and used google more often than not. Remember everyone... GOOGLE is your FRIEND... MICROSLUT is the ENEMY! (Although I am guilty of using Microslut Windows XP but I do use Linux 90% of the time anyhow)

There are some dumb questions, how do i gain admin at school being one of the, but maybe instead of the insults, we should explain to them exactly why this isn't a good idea, the issues that may arise if they do it and what they should be doing instead?

And as for "just.fucking.google.it"... there have been many times when I've known what the issue was, but been unable to find any information on it simply because i didn't know the correct terminology. And maybe, just maybe, we can help someone, instead of becoming a google referal agency and random crap emporium? Give people the terminology, explain what it means, give those random bits of advice you found in a forgotten mailing list hidden in the 9th page of a google search for some thing completly different. There is more to life than wikipedia links.

I try not to n00b bash but it probably depends on what mood I am in.

As i have said in previous topics I don't have a problem with people that don't know much and put some effort into finding out the information that they need.

I don't want to have to do all the work for them because they expect the answers. Part of learning is figuring it and finding it yourself, you'll never learn anything if people tell you everything.

I'm not disgreeing that there needs to be effort on the n00bs part in order for any progress to be made. What I am saying is that sticking someone in a room with loads of books will not make them learn, otherwise schools would be a lot cheaper to run. You need people to take you threw it, explain things, help you understand things. Part of that is giving information that could be useful to someone. It takes 10 seconds to find something on google, if you know exactly what your looking for. If you have no clue what to google for, you won't get anywhere.

thank you for pointing this out

I will do my best to stop my rampant noob bashing.

Second, we do need to encourage others to join the community and be active, even if they start out asking how to hack myspace. who knows, they might actually bring it down once and for all!

+1 intelligence to VaKo

It's all about the question....

and i'm so sick and fucking tired of people saying google it.....

i'm new to linux I was installing ubuntu on my laptop (this is where you flame me for my choice in distro) and i couln't get the xserver to boot up all the way and i google'd for hours untill I asked about the problem in #ubuntu and 20 secound later i was in Ubuntu using Vesa

it took the person less time to say "reconfigure and use vesa" then {url justfuckinggooldit.com......} use google you fucking n00b { url }......

<rant>

and people are smarter then google if i say "WHY IS EVERYTHING IN CAPS?" i could google it and it would be years untill i found ou why.. or i could ask you and you'd say capslock on the left of hyou keyboard and now we are both happy becasue I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU ANYMORE and my problem is solved

</rant>

I've always been interested in computers, and recently had a bit more time on my hands, and I found the sticky on 'Hacking: Where to start' really helped me. I tend not to ask questions as I just grab whatever information comes my way. I think before I had a very general knowledge, but recently I'm starting to thirst for specifics, so this forum has helped me. No-one's bashed me for being new yet, but possibly it's because I think before I type, and don't ask questions I would consider stupid in the context of general knowledge, regardless of computer knowledge.

<sigh> For the last time, the four most commonly used passwords are:

Love

Sex

Secret

God

But not necessarily in that order.

No run off and hack a Gibson.

I rarely contribute to forums and the such, but the community seemed far nicer than most, especially you're good attitude towards n00bs.

So I just had to join up :D

Because I don't think you have a problem with n00b bashing.

Some noobs deserved to be bashed exsample me. I broke 6 form rules in one thread (3,5,7,8,9,12) and face it some on has to bash noobs for completely stupid things but dont bash them for asking a question that has atleast a point of relivence and by the way google is a search engine it takes the words you put in and finds pages with those words so if i type hacking 200,000 on a page and you search hacking it'll come up and put you futher from a useful page

I beleive that some people also use their l337 tude to blow off questions they don't know the answer to. I asked a question about a circuitboard on IRC that was not easily searchable, I had already tried, from someone who claimed to be a wiz at that technology. Instead of just saying he didn't know where to find the schematics, I just got a n00b bashing sequence followed by a just.fucking.google.it I still haven't found my answer but will not go back to that channel again so they can be so l337 that they are alone. Now I know why there were 4 people in that room and noone was talking.

<climbs back off soapbox>