Multiple Video Card Machine

BlueWyvern

Hey guys, I'm currently running an i7 machine with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 and I am in need of more monitor space. My thoughts were to either try to find and buy the same model or just get something a little beefier. I was not planning on running them in SLI as the articles I have read show that SLI performance degrades after you start adding monitors.

Just wanted to get some feedback on this as Im not sure how mix and matching the models will work out.

My current setup has a single GTX 260 Nvdia graphics card. It has x2 DVI outputs and x1 mini-HDMI.

If you are planning on running more than 3 monitors, than any graphics card will do just fine.

As long as they are not in crossfire or SLI, they should work just fine.

awesome thanks guys! I ended up getting a ATI Radeon HD 5450 to work along side my 4850.

The guy @ Micro Center told me the PC would probably not boot because the cards won't match (Wow where'd he get his training @) The one thing that caught me off guard is that the 5450 did not require the extra power connection like my 4850, but that currently saves me from having to get a bigger PSU.

what I am aiming for is a setup like so

32 inch (or bigger) mounted on wall

monitor monitor monitor

the only thing I don't know about is if windows will let me set it so that if i drag a window UP if it will go up to the TV or if its all horizontal for screens.

awesome thanks guys! I ended up getting a ATI Radeon HD 5450 to work along side my 4850.

The guy @ Micro Center told me the PC would probably not boot because the cards won't match (Wow where'd he get his training @) The one thing that caught me off guard is that the 5450 did not require the extra power connection like my 4850, but that currently saves me from having to get a bigger PSU.

what I am aiming for is a setup like so

32 inch (or bigger) mounted on wall

monitor monitor monitor

the only thing I don't know about is if windows will let me set it so that if i drag a window UP if it will go up to the TV or if its all horizontal for screens.

You are not the only one, several months ago I went to a computer shop to buy a DVI to HDMI cable and the person behind the counter told me that, there was no such thing. Told him that there is such thing, because I looked it up on the internet. Moral of the story, he could have told me that they didn't have in stock.

Im in the market to buy two Radeon HD5770 to replace my 260 gtx myself, are there any downfalls to just buying one HD5770 and pairing it up with my 260?

Will i still get a performance boost when playing games?

Im in the market to buy two Radeon HD5770 to replace my 260 gtx myself, are there any downfalls to just buying one HD5770 and pairing it up with my 260?

Will i still get a performance boost when playing games?

When pairing two graphics card together, they must be from the same manufacturer. Its just how crossfire and sli works. Now I read some reviews and if you are tight on budget you better off with x2 GTX 260 in SLI mode. Or go with a high end one from ATI, they will cost less than the Nvidia ones, but should offer good performance and value for the money as well.

I was able to have 2 monitors on my i7 2600 sandy bridge, I had to use different port for each, but now I have 1 22" monitor (HDMI) and 1 19"monitor (DVI) Now I have still room for one more (vga.)

I was able to have 2 monitors on my i7 2600 sandy bridge, I had to use different port for each, but now I have 1 22" monitor (HDMI) and 1 19"monitor (DVI) Now I have still room for one more (vga.)

What graphics card are you using? I havent found many new gaming graphics cards that use VGA, are you sure thats not your Motherboard's vga output?

I mean if your on the new intel z68 chipset it shouldnt be a problem to use both at the same time but that was only released this past week. If you are damn you beat me to it!