Registry Hacks of PC

angelictorment

Ok. I'm curious as to how many registry hacks or tweaks there are out there for Windows XP Pro and Home editions. I just recieved one on a website doing a test of my desktop pc's performance and it said I needed to adjust my receive buffer size. So I did it exactly like it said (no big deal I'm always messing with my reg.) and well guess what it doesn't work. Infact it actually diabled my internet viewing until I deleted the stupid DWORD Value.. But that got to my curiosity on exactly what all can be tweaked with the registry. I know theres one for gaining overclock for an nVidia graphics card, I use it all the time. So what others are there? *note this is all on my personal desktop and laptop.*

I rarly mess with the registary. The only times I will change the registary my self is if some thing installed a fucktard explorer extension or if some thing brakes in the manor that I have found QuickTime offten dose:

/me tries to open QuickTime

/windows spits in my space with a critical error and closes quick time

/me downloads quicktime installer

/quick time installer spits in my face and says quicktime is alredy installed

/me opens add/remove programs menu finds quicktime, clicks uninstall

/windows spits in my face with a critical error and closes quicktime

/quick time uninstaller reports "Uninstalation Succesful"

/me runs quicktime installer

/quicktime installer spits in my face and says quicktime is alredy installed

and so you have to go into the registary and manuly remove it other wise you can't remove it to install it.

Heh yeah QuickTime's a bit like that sometimes...

On the subject of registry hacks/tweaks though I'd probably recommend against it if you don't really know much about it... perhaps practice on machines that you don't use (but you own, not at your school, office or library ;))...

You should soon find your way around the registry but until you're confident enough, I'd advise not playing with it 'cos it can really screw your machine (sometimes to the point of Windows dying). It's handy to know though so like I say, practice on old machines and have a little fun with it :)

Another comical insident where you have to edit the registary is this:

You have a brand new install of windows, you open explorer go Tools > Folder Options... Then open File Type, select "File Folder" click advanced. You then having opened this menu ONLY (and nothing else) click ok, and sudderly every time you double click a directory in explorer it open the find dialog... yep, you have to edit the registarty to fix that one.

Yeah I try to play around with it every chance I get but somethings just kind of scare me in there to mess with. I do know one tweak how ever it's s'ppose to speed up the shut down of windows. I've used it a few times, I think it is set up with my laptop actually I can't remember what all I have it set up on now.. :? Anyhow time to go cook dinner for the g/f... Potatos, Carrots, Butter, Dill and Shrooms :D

Nope... I actually cut the potatos up and put them in a glass 9 x 13 pan with carrots and mushrooms and some onions sometimes... Sprinkle with Fresh Dill and put a few big globs of butter( about 3 tbsps) and cover with foil.. Put in oven on 350 and check regularly... Then for main coarse there is Cube Steak seasoned with Garlic, Season all, Paprika, and some herbs. That'll also go in the oven for about 15-20mins.

Another comical insident where you have to edit the registary is this:

You have a brand new install of windows, you open explorer go Tools > Folder Options... Then open File Type, select "File Folder" click advanced. You then having opened this menu ONLY (and nothing else) click ok, and sudderly every time you double click a directory in explorer it open the find dialog... yep, you have to edit the registarty to fix that one.

No you don't, you just have to change one of the options in that advanced dialog to point to c:/windows/explorer.exe

Regarding the quicktime troubles, you might want to try Quicktime Alternative since it isn't nearly as horrible as the real thing.

As for registry hacks, the first thing I do when I re-install is to add an entry so that I have my favourite text editor available when I right click on any file. Tweaking hardware and other deep-down system things with the tips from a random website is just to much of a hit and make-your-computer-explode affair for me.