Iphones Are Being Tracked?!

theyettihunta

Apple has been tracking all iPhone users!?

I personally have a 3g and I'm pissed, this is a huge privacy concern. I was planning on getting the iPhone 5, but unless this is gone I will be switching to android, tho they may be doing the same :(

Any thoughts or information on this?

http://digg.com/news/technology/iphone_users_being_tracked

as far as i know google is already doing this when you google stuff and your logged into google. so android is made by "google" and im pretty sure you need to have a google account to use the phone, unless you want to install all your apps from outside sources and never use their backup assistant, you probably going to be monitored on android as well. personally i go with android because its linux based, and i really dont like apple, at all.

iPhone and iPad 3 and 4g apparently save location data on the phone, stored unencrypted, which means if an app from the apple store wanted to grab a peek, I'm sure there is a way to access it. its supposedly not tracked or harvested by Apple, but the fact that it is there in the first place is a little disturbing considering its not like a browser history or cookies you delete, but a file people didn't even know existed until recently and applications on the phone may have already been using this data.

I'm sure all phones to some extent track your movement, although probably stored on the phone networks for sake of 911 location tracking if needed. What I don't understand is half the people complaining about it tracking them use stuff like 4square, which essentially does the same thing, only instead of storing it locally on your phone, is on the internet for the world to see.

anything in the smart phone family can do this, i think they state that in the video , but as long as you know how to turn settings off then you should be okay. the major thing is to know what your phone is doing at all times, like the meta data in the pictures you take on your smartphone how it says your longitude and latitude when you took that picture. All you need to do is know what is happening when you click a button on the phone. based on my lack of experience of phone but more of just what i have heard I would say go android for the reason of rooting it, but i am not sure if that will give you the control that you need, and I would suggest that before you buy the phone do research into what it can do, and when you get the phone search the features of the phone to the fullest extent that you can.

I was talking about this functionality with a friend of mine the other day, and he told me there is no way to turn this tracking functionality off. Its something that Apple made built into the phone.

When I first heard about it, I was like WTF. Since this functionality can't be turned off, you can however delete the file that keeps record of your location.

I am definitely a bigger fan of open source on the computer side. However i haven't had any experience on the mobile side.

I love the stability and functionality of the iPhone tho. Even with a 3g, mine is jailbroken and is fully customized, i have multitasking, and even a terminal shell, which even better has a metasploit app. Also, when jailbroken you have access to other browsers that support flash.

All of the above are the reasons i keep hearing for why android is better, but its not if the iphone is jailbroken, at least that is in the common user's case.

I haven't really looked much into rooting android and what u can do with that. Does anyone have personal experience or advice?

Guest leg3nd

Turn off WiFi when you don't use it, Turn off GPS when you don't use it. I highly doubt the triangulate the location based on cell towers, Problem solved.

As its been said by many before me, PRIVACY IS DEAD

I never use gps and using wifi at home and various places wouldnt allow them to draw a map like the one depicted in the video.

GPS wouldnt be the problem anyway. Sure they could use it but it is just an app for the iphone. Their tracking system was supposed to go unnoticed and is secret there is no way to turn it off, well at least yet, it is integrated into the phone so i doubt there will be a solution.

I never use gps and using wifi at home and various places wouldnt allow them to draw a map like the one depicted in the video.

GPS wouldnt be the problem anyway. Sure they could use it but it is just an app for the iphone. Their tracking system was supposed to go unnoticed and is secret there is no way to turn it off, well at least yet, it is integrated into the phone so i doubt there will be a solution.

Actually, Apple is supposed to be pushing out an update that 1, clears the file when location services are turned off, and 2, stores it for less time.

Actually, Apple is supposed to be pushing out an update that 1, clears the file when location services are turned off, and 2, stores it for less time.

Its a step forward, but again Apple should have designed it to be turned off when required in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

Apple has been tracking all iPhone users!?

I personally have a 3g and I'm pissed, this is a huge privacy concern. I was planning on getting the iPhone 5, but unless this is gone I will be switching to android, tho they may be doing the same :(

Any thoughts or information on this?

http://digg.com/news/technology/iphone_users_being_tracked

Jailbreak and install untrackerd img04901d.png

Its a step forward, but again Apple should have designed it to be turned off when required in the first place.

Yes, because this location storing was a "mistake" on Apple and it was a bug....

www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/technology/28apple.html?_r=1

(Sorry if link doesnt work apparently safari cant transfer links across different windows???? Ill look into that later.)

I don't like Apple, used to have an ipod touch 1st gen. Jail broke it that same day.

I think I was metaphorically breaking out of the Jail that was Apple.

Anyway on a the matter at hand, I've read somewhere that if you turn some settings off that you can disable the logging of the data.

Im just surprised that no one has a made a app that clears it every hour or so, then again Apple would either not let it come into the market,

or delete it from the market. (Android Market doesn't restrict much, mostly stuff that infringes on cell phone companies contracts, aka netflix on some rooted phones.)

Either way, if your jailbroken i suggest looking at some apps that will clear that data file every few hours or so.

-Remotesh

Agreed. A jailbroken apple device gives you far more control.

But I'll have to agree with "Privacy is Dead".. Hate to freak you out but it's true the 911 services can find where you are by phone as well and there no way to turn it off. It's always on.

I know Verizon dose the same thing as I have the HTC Thunderbolt "Amazing phone except Bluetooth sucks so dose the network" I was trying to get a replacement for my first one the Tier3 guy asked what I was doing at an cretin area in the city and if I was having problems. Turns out that area was bad and I had to toss the red flag in and ask why he knew the almost exact location I was at. "Mock locations only seem to work for on device not network based - someone please correct me if I'm wrong only guessing" Read the fine print on the contracts you sign it's amazing how many right's you forfeit and you pay each month for it..

Thats backwards. if you own the device, YOU should have complete control of it. Screw any company, not just Apple, for putting locks and controls on things we buy as consumers. Shouldn't have to "jailbreak" a device, or look up unlock codes for phones and other devices. Should have the ability to put any software on them you want, modify how you want, and do as you want. You bought it, you own it, you should be able to do as you want. Look what is happening to Sony right now. Its because they tried locking out modders and innovators from making changes to a device they own, so now, the backlash is hackers are taking down their network, most likely from the inside out. If we took away those rights from people to tinker and mod, change and update as they see fit, we wouldn't know about being tracked int he first place, we wouldn't have things like Boxee, or the little hand held video game toys Darren and Snubs show off on the show. We wouldn't have new devices or innovation in any area of science and technology, some of which are life saving devices or benefit mankind. If we allow only a select few to hold the locks and patents on everything, and shut out the rest of the world, how does that help us? Apple tracking on devices wasn't a "bug" and anyone who believes this is naive. The problem though is, that anyone who owns the device should have been aloud to remove it without issue, and that wasn't the case for normal everyday users.

I'm not against them opening it up a little and I'd love to see some sideloading and other hacker-friendly features in iOS 5. I just trust Apple to do a better job in quality control than a bunch of random hackers on the internet, and experience has proven me right so far. I've got a bunch of friends who jailbroke, and they have all sorts of issues - slowness, jittery graphics, springboard crashing, springboard crashing again.....

It's my device, and I'd like to be able to control it. Honestly though, IMO Apple is doing a much better job of it than I could, and definitely a better job than $JAILBREAK_GROUP and most jailbreak software developers.