Idea Web Cam Security

krew790

Saw someone else set something up that was a webcam security system.

This is his setup

imoandorbitsphere.jpg

left monitor is the one i kinda wanna set up like him.

I have a old webcam but what do you guys suggest for the set up or any advice. Just in the start up phase until move into new apt in the summer.

Edited by krew790

You have a like 15 foot cable length on USB, so good luck. USB Extenders may not power the device.

That and what is the indented purpose? To identify a criminal on recording? If so you need to have a certain amount of pixels/size ratio in order for it to stand up in court.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

You have a like 15 foot cable length on USB, so good luck. USB Extenders may not power the device.

That and what is the indented purpose? To identify a criminal on recording? If so you need to have a certain amount of pixels/size ratio in order for it to stand up in court.

Just to see who is at the door without opening or going there; and for fun to build on latter.

Just to see who is at the door without opening or going there; and for fun to build on latter.

I have a similar idea, and while I don't plan on running a 5 meter cable.

I plan on having a small case housing a small computer, that will be used for capturing and streaming live images, via a wireless transmitter.

The camera would be a Microsoft LifeCam Cinema, which can record up to 720p, and it already comes with a built in Mic.

That should be good enough for a HD security camera. Don't you think!

Edited by Infiltrator

I have a similar idea, and while I don't plan on running a 5 meter cable.

I plan on having a small case housing a small computer, that will be used for capturing and streaming live images, via a wireless transmitter.

The camera would be a Microsoft LifeCam Cinema, which can record up to 720p, and it already comes with a built in Mic.

That should be good enough for a HD security camera. Don't you think!

Im looking into networking cameras may put online so i can view when i am away

Im looking into networking cameras may put online so i can view when i am away

My idea also works as networking camera. It may need some fine tunning but it works how I want.

On the other hand, you might want to check this Linksys camera out.

CISCO Linksys WVC80N

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/LATAM/en/products/WVC80N

Edited by Infiltrator

Well, there are 2 ways to go about doing a security cam:

- getting an cheap/decent IP camera; but even so, you'd have to do a "power-over-ethernet" trick; in the sense that you'd have to put the power adapter through 2 unused wires of the ethernet cable; that way you can put the camera at whatever length you want;

- if you have a tv-tuner or a capture card (a cheap/decent new one is about 20$ bucks) and use an analogic (surveillance) camera, you could end up cheaper at a better quality; and the coaxial cable can be long enough; it may be that you also have to stick a power cable near it

Well, there are 2 ways to go about doing a security cam:

- getting an cheap/decent IP camera; but even so, you'd have to do a "power-over-ethernet" trick; in the sense that you'd have to put the power adapter through 2 unused wires of the ethernet cable; that way you can put the camera at whatever length you want;

- if you have a tv-tuner or a capture card (a cheap/decent new one is about 20$ bucks) and use an analogic (surveillance) camera, you could end up cheaper at a better quality; and the coaxial cable can be long enough; it may be that you also have to stick a power cable near it

i think im going to start with something simple like usb webcam that also is hooked up online for me to view on my computer and iphone. Then may try to add onto it every year; like a little mode each year to make it cooler. Like maybe next year buy a new cam and make it so i can move it from my iphone.

This is a summer/fall project of mine this year hopefully. I have had this in mind for sometime. I planned on using HD USB webcams with cat5/6 extender's. (I'm currently using HDMI over cat5/6 extender and it works great). Having all the camera's run to 1 server and using some motion detection software. The reason I choose that route is I don't have to worry about running power to each cam as most of the POE cam's I've seen are a bit pricey. I think it was Shannon who mentioned a nice opensource webcam software called YAW or something like that. (Yet Another WebCam). It looked nice, but sometime ago I had posted about this same topic and had gotten a link to an even better opensource webcam software that I can't find or remember for nothing.

I have a bit of a setup in mind, that I believe is going to work great. The only thing is night vision, I doubt USB webcams support night vision. I have that linksys cam as mentioned by Infiltrator, but the video quality isn't the greatest. I like the fact that it supports dyndns and has a few nice feature's, but as far as quality I wasn't too impressed.

What I'd like to do is I have a webcam I took out of a HP tablet laptop 1.3MP that I'd love to use, because it's so portable. However I haven't been able to find any info on what wire's to splice into a usb cable.