Scsi Raid Array

G-Stress

Guys, I have this HP StorageWorks SCSI RAID Array with 14 bays. It currently has 13x300GB 10k SCSI disks in it. It has 2 80 pin (I think) scsi connector's on the back, an ethernet port that says LCD only and I'm assuming 2 psu's as it takes 2 power cords. The guy I got this from say using only 1 of the scsi connector's a system would only see half of the bay. I have a couple server's with a couple scsi cards, I believe some are dual channel cards.

My question is how do I configure this Array? How can I allow 1 server via the scsi cable to see these disks? Is there a disk I need to run at boot that will allow me to see and configure the array? I currently have the array connected to an IBM xSeries 346 running esxi 4.1. I'm willing to connect them to another server if needed, I just need to get this disk space online on the lan. Years ago I could have answered any ? about scsi, but being I never had and hands on experience until this past November I've forgotten quite a bit.

I also have an HP StorageWorks MSL5000 tape library that also requires the same connections as the RAID array. I've seen a bit of documentation online, but nothing that has made sense as far as seeing the array.

Thanks in advance for any advice, links, etc.

During the boot process does it display any options on the screen, like press F1 or f12 to go into advanced set up or something similar.

Secondly, once logged onto the server, can you see any HP Storage/SCSI software installed? I am not certain what its called but is there any indication of HP SCSI software loaded.

During the boot process does it display any options on the screen, like press F1 or f12 to go into advanced set up or something similar.

Secondly, once logged onto the server, can you see any HP Storage/SCSI software installed? I am not certain what its called but is there any indication of HP SCSI software loaded.

On this IBM I think there is an option during boot. I know the guy told me I had to download an iso to configure the array on the server itself which I found and worked great. I'll have to reboot to be sure I usually just keep it headless, but as far as ESXI goes I have 2 different raid cards in this server 1 is single channel and 1 is dual channel and I've tried both and then looking through the storage features in esxi I didn't see any additional storage.

What model is your RAID controller?

esxi I didn't see any additional storage.

What you could do is useGlusterFS, I am also looking to install a ESXi server so a while a go I did a test setup using some vm's on my mac and it worked perfectly.

You could install GlusterFS on a separate usb drive and plug it is internally in you're HP server.

Once installed you can manage you're drives, it's a different solution, don't really know if it's gonna be any use for you.

If you don't like GlusterFS, you can always try FreeNAS. Normally ESXi will recognize Freenas but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this could be of any use for you.

What you could do is useGlusterFS, I am also looking to install a ESXi server so a while a go I did a test setup using some vm's on my mac and it worked perfectly.

You could install GlusterFS on a separate usb drive and plug it is internally in you're HP server.

Once installed you can manage you're drives, it's a different solution, don't really know if it's gonna be any use for you.

If you don't like GlusterFS, you can always try FreeNAS. Normally ESXi will recognize Freenas but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this could be of any use for you.

Thanks dude. Nice find. I think I will throw this in a VM and play with it as it looks like it might be of some use. I didn't even think to try FreeNAS to see if it see's the drive's. I might try that as well.

@ Infiltrator,

I'm not sure what model the RAID Controller is, I didn't pop the chassis off to look yet, but during boot it does list IBM ServRaid 7 BIOS I think is what it said... shoulda posted while I was booting it. I just happen to boot tonight to try to finish setting up phproxy as the temp is currently 58 degrees with a low of 40 for the night :)

Thanks dude. Nice find. I think I will throw this in a VM and play with it as it looks like it might be of some use. I didn't even think to try FreeNAS to see if it see's the drive's. I might try that as well.

@ Infiltrator,

I'm not sure what model the RAID Controller is, I didn't pop the chassis off to look yet, but during boot it does list IBM ServRaid 7 BIOS I think is what it said... shoulda posted while I was booting it. I just happen to boot tonight to try to finish setting up phproxy as the temp is currently 58 degrees with a low of 40 for the night :)

Will keep looking, if I find something will let you know.

I think you should move to Sahara or Egypt, its a lot cooler down there "Sarcasm"

• 1 month later...

Ok I got a bit of time to mess with this now. I'm going to be using a Dell PowerEdge 1750 for now. On boot it lists and PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller with the option of Ctrl+M to enter configuration. This is running Server 2k8 Enterprise x86. In device manager it lists Dell PERC 4/Di RAID Controller and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. I'm still at a very "n00b" level with RAID as I've never had any hands on until I got these server's.

Is there a utility that I can use in the windows environment to recognize and configure this array or do I need to use the configuration utility on boot? Also if I have to use the config utility upon boot is that going to mess with my current config on the 2 internal scsi disks on this server now?