Gmail Motion

buffy

Nice, I like the idea of using hand signs to interact with your computer, but

I think Google is copying Microsoft Kinetic.

Edited by Infiltrator

I hope you guys got the idea that it's an April Fool's prank from Google. Nearly fell for it myself, until I saw the date on my computer.

And then I researched TISP; I should have started with that.

Microsoft didn't invent sign language.

True, but they did invent Kinect. So where did they get the idea from?

True, but they did invent Kinect. So where did they get the idea from?

Well, Microsoft is not to be underestimated with certain stuff.

Yeah, we p**s on their OS, but their research in different new technologies and stuff is something to be admired. Unlike some of their products, but what can you expect ? The problem with BIG corporate products is that they boast indestructibility when in fact they're written by average people like you and me who make mistakes... in groups. People usually trust their apparent indestructibility while we resent it for not being actually indestructible, and it's just a lie; and the bigger the company/player the bigger the lie is (when talking about indestructibility at least).

But coming back to Microsoft research :

- you may know about PhotoSynth, and when it was presented at TED in 2007

- you probably also know about the talk at TED about the FTIR multi-touch stuff in 2006; the guy makes reference to a Bill Buxton who (hopefully still) is heavily involved with Microsoft research in various user-input devices; after that TED talk, Bill was asked to make this article about multi-touch; I highly recommend it for historical/interesting/good-to-know and maybe trivia facts

- related to the previous point : Microsoft Surface; yeah, I know it's over-priced, but show me a Microsoft product that isn't over-priced; still, if you want to make a

check this out; I made one, but right know I use it as a small to hold stuff on it; mine is actually bigger than what the guy made

- i admit at this one that I'm short on research info, but MS has the Virtual Earth project; I don't know whether this was before/after Google Earth, or how advanced it is compared to Google Earth; I do know it was presented at this TED talk;

- if you haven't checked Bing Maps, you might want to; I mean, the Bird's Eye View that they have is awesome; here's where I live (a rented apartment) right now; the awesomeness of this is that you can spin the view 90 degrees and you get this view, then another 90 degrees and you get this view ; I think they used plane cameras to actually record data, and then maybe use PhotoSynth to compile it in; Bird's Eye View is limited to medium-to-big cities; if you try to get out of the city, you can't

I think this is enough spam of stuff; hope you found the info interesting.

The main idea is that, yeah Microsoft may s**k, but they also have some good stuff. In the end I think the people you have to hate in any big company are the ones that drive the creation and marketing of their products, especially if their crappy. And maybe sometimes, even Microsoft will show us something cool and original that they made, like Microsoft's Kinect; sorry to all Apple fans, but they're late on this one.

@Comodo,

Thank you for the time and effort you put into researching all that info, its been very much appreciated.

I agree that Microsoft do make good stuff, if it wasn't for Microsoft we wouldn't have had Dos or Windows at all.

Just like every major corporate, they are always trying to keep up with the pace of technology by bringing out new and amazing stuffs.

But on the down side each corporate do have its own faults, nothing is perfect.

For instance Bing Maps are OK, but I have to say Google Satellite images are far better, they are much more clearer in details than Bing Satellite Images.

Go64!! I was jealous when my friend got a Amiga. lol but yeah I dont have any doubt that google allready has the technology to do this allready. If the kinect technology is out then I would not doubt a google motion project, not a bad idea either. It will probuly be a Android app.

For instance Bing Maps are OK, but I have to say Google Satellite images are far better, they are much more clearer in details than Bing Satellite Images.

Indeed Google's Satellite Images are far better than Bing's. However the gap between the Google Maps and Bing Maps can be filled by writing your own web-code or you can use http://www.mapchannels.com

I discovered their website because I really wanted to try to integrate Bing's Bird's Eye and Google Earth's Street View + Maps into a website.

You can try their Dual Maps API, which is pretty neat; they have a demo at the link I sent you.

Indeed Google's Satellite Images are far better than Bing's. However the gap between the Google Maps and Bing Maps can be filled by writing your own web-code or you can use http://www.mapchannels.com

I discovered their website because I really wanted to try to integrate Bing's Bird's Eye and Google Earth's Street View + Maps into a website.

You can try their Dual Maps API, which is pretty neat; they have a demo at the link I sent you.

Nice will check it out later, thanks Comodo.