Os For New Computer.

Jamo

Hi

Im buying new computer 8gb ram i7 2600.

Im going to install ubuntu 64bit and windows. I have win 7 32bit oem license. Could I download win 7 64bit and use my 32bit product key.

https://www.dreamspark.com/

Offers free windows products for students. I guess that I could install win server 2008 to my computer. Does normal apps work in that. I mean firefox, MS office.

I know that normal firewalls doesn't work in servers. Any recommendations foe firewall and virus protection.

How about games like BF2 GTA etc. Does those work in windows server

As far as I know, the license keys will not work from 32 bit to 64 bit. They are not interchangeable. especially for Home Edition vs Pro or Ultimate, you need a key per version as well as per Bit depth. If you had a 64bit OEM license, say from when you bought a new laptop or computer, that should work, but only if both were 64bit and the same version (ie :both home, or both pro, etc).

You can get a copy of Windows 7 Pro 64bit for about $140 on New Egg. Just look for the OEM system builders version, which is about almost half the cost of the Full Retail version and its the same thing, just doesn't come with a manual.

I know that normal firewalls doesn't work in servers. Any recommendations foe firewall and virus protection.

I would only install windows server 2008, if you really require a server, there is no need in installing a Windows Server on a normal PC, if its just for normal every day use.

If you want to play BF2 GTA, I would recommend installing Windows 7, servers are not designed for playing games.

For a firewall I would use Untangle and for an Antivirus I would recommend the Avast Server Edition, but its only valid for a 3 months period, you will have to purchase a license in order to continue using it.

You could always just find a torrent version of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit version somewhere and install VMware to run all of the other OS to try out and see which one you like the best, but yeah Win server I think would not be worth installing unless you have multiple boxes that you want to set up a network with.. or you could even install VMware ESXi for building a test home network. Be careful with torrents though it maybe illegal and/or contain virii.

You could always just find a torrent version of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit version somewhere and install VMware to run all of the other OS to try out and see which one you like the best,--- Be careful with torrents though it maybe illegal and/or contain virii.

Yea, when downloading windowses fron torrents, you should choose one thats SHA1 matched with one from http://msdn.microsoft.com/fi-fi/subscriptions/downloads/default%28en-us%29.aspx

Then you can be sure it has no viruses. Then you also need product key.

You could always just find a torrent version of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit version somewhere and install VMware to run all of the other OS to try out and see which one you like the best, but yeah Win server I think would not be worth installing unless you have multiple boxes that you want to set up a network with.. or you could even install VMware ESXi for building a test home network. Be careful with torrents though it maybe illegal and/or contain virii.

You could do that, but just be careful not everything from torrents is safe.

Hi

Im buying new computer 8gb ram i7 2600.

Im going to install ubuntu 64bit and windows. I have win 7 32bit oem license. Could I download win 7 64bit and use my 32bit product key.

https://www.dreamspark.com/

Offers free windows products for students. I guess that I could install win server 2008 to my computer. Does normal apps work in that. I mean firefox, MS office.

You might be able to use your 32bit product key. Try it. I wouldn't recommend downloading win 7 64bit from a torrent either. You might be able to get win 7 64 bit from the microsoft.com site without having to pay for the upgrade.

Just out of curiosity. What make is your computer? is it a brand name or a clone?

I'm going to buying a new one myself for a computer consulting business I'll be starting shortly and am looking at what would be the best PC for my business.

Good luck to you.

Edited by bibbinut

You might be able to use your 32bit product key. Try it. I wouldn't recommend downloading win 7 64bit from a torrent either. You might be able to get win 7 65 bit from the microsoft.com site without having to pay for the upgrade.

Just out of curiosity. What make is your computer? is it a brand name or a clone?

I'm going to buying a new one myself for a computer consulting business I'll be starting shortly and am looking at what would be the best PC for my business.

Good luck to you.

Actually I had win7 home premium vista to win7 upgrade key, which allowed me to get win7 hp 64bit activated.

I got disk from torrent, since I had only 32bit version. I found one, that claimed that its clean copy on MSDN subscriber win7 hp 64bit. That files sha1 matched sha1 from MS site. So that's how I made sure my windows disk is clean.

I build it myself, it's

intel i7 2600, (If you want to virualize you don't want that K version)

Asus P8H67-m Pro b3

8gb ram

1TB hdd

GPU is inegrated in processor (sandy bridge). Its enough for HD movies, FSX.

Antec 300 case.

620W power supply.

Actually I had win7 home premium vista to win7 upgrade key, which allowed me to get win7 hp 64bit activated.

I got disk from torrent, since I had only 32bit version. I found one, that claimed that its clean copy on MSDN subscriber win7 hp 64bit. That files sha1 matched sha1 from MS site. So that's how I made sure my windows disk is clean.

I build it myself, it's

intel i7 2600, (If you want to virualize you don't want that K version)

Asus P8H67-m Pro b3

8gb ram

1TB hdd

GPU is inegrated in processor (sandy bridge). Its enough for HD movies, FSX.

Antec 300 case.

620W power supply.

Good to know. :) I always keep back ups of my OS, just in case. ;)

Sounds like a really nice machine you built. Really like the specs. :-)

Good to know. :) I always keep back ups of my OS, just in case. ;)

Sounds like a really nice machine you built. Really like the specs. :-)

Yea, you cant get much better CPU for that prize, unless you want to get 6 core AMD AND external GPU

When I bought that machine, they asked why I didn't buy external GPU. They saind that Sandy bridge's GPU ain't that good. However I haven't had any issues with it yet.

Btw i7's normal cooler didn't work, it was running at 80C so I get bigger and now its max 60C.